fa3_c43_convoy

Help make Party-approved missions harder
darkChozo
Host

fa3_c43_convoy

Post by darkChozo »

A convoy of AAF IFVs make a cross-country trek across an occupied Altis.

So, I actually already have a mostly-finished v2 that should do stuff like improve performance, add an actual command structure, improve enemy spawns and other crazy stuff like that. What I've learned from this run beyond that is that the airbase is probably a more reasonable destination, and that I can afford to pull my punches a bit less. So look forward to that!

Version History:
v1
Initial release.
Last edited by darkChozo on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kefirz

Re: fa3_c43_convoy

Post by Kefirz »

Definitely rework the current ORBAT that you have, for example, put 3 IFV's in Alpha squad and give ASL an MRAP. That way we can get some structure and organization in the mission.
Also, did you use unit caching? If you are going to shorten the drive anyway, then you will remove quite a few extra units, which would definitely help performance.

I really liked the roadblocks and such, but if I were you I would remove the civs also (I know that you were trying to make us think about our targets, not just run and gun, including the friendly AAF), but it would probably help performance and they aren't that critical.

Well, overall I think that the concept is interesting, but it needs polish. And playability (FPS) should be improved, it wasn't that bad for me, only when the lead vehicle popped smoke, but for others it tanked quite a lot.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

MRAPs are probably a biit too fragile for this mission. What I've done so far is add a commander vic and changed each platoon (whoo armor) to a platoon leader + 1 + 2 + 3. I don't think this mission needs that much organization but some designated cat herders should keep things flowing a bit more.

The enemies are all dynamically spawned so there's no need for caching. I've optimized the script a bit to more aggressively delete and respawn enemies (meaning I can have fewer enemies spawned at once), plus I've added cleanup for dead bodies and vehicles which should help with performance. As far as I can tell the main issue is server FPS so that should help a lot.

I think I'm going to keep the civs/AAF but I'll make them less common. I'm pretty sure we happened to roll an unusual number of civs (there should have been ~1.5x as many EI as civs), but the ratio's still probably set a bit too high.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

The MRAP was intended, as an independent way of travel, they aren't intended to shoot anyone, that's not their job. But an unarmed strider still protects from 7.62 and lower.
Rockets will still ruin the day for both.

Otherwise, you are pretty much confining him to the cargo space of the IFV, which sucks, because it's either staring at empty seats or staring at the map.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

fer

Post by fer »

A standard Folk ARPS 2015 mechanised platoon would have 4 identical armoured vehicles (wheeled or tracked), so I don't think putting the CO in a different type of vehicle is appropriate. However, having one or two 2-man 'recon' attachments in Striders would be a way of working in that kind of high-mobility option. If you add in a COY-level CO, he should also get an armoured vic. Incidentally, a mission parameter to switch vic models from wheeled to tracked would be awesome!

I think a lot of thought needs to go into our approach as well. Last night's plan felt almost like a thunder-run, which wasn't totally unbelievable given the 'desperate' situation described in the briefing. As an alternative approach, it would be fun to try this with a slightly more methodical approach - even if it's just about having assigned fields-of-fire for each vic, and some agreed 'actions-on' for when we take casualties.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Scout Striders could be interesting, even if I wouldn't expect them to survive very long. Might be an opportunity to actually use GMGs!

A parameter to switch vehicle types should be doable. With a more centralized destination, I'm also thinking that parameterizing starting location - each of the four corners of Altis should work, I think.

I feel like the strategy for this mission is actually quite interesting. There's a built-in time limit because the longer you take, the more ammo you use and the more likely someone gets a lucky shot that one-shots your vehicle. On the other hand, you'll accumulate damage (vehicle and crew) over time that you may want to repair, and occasionally (ie. often) you'll lose a wheel and need to repair straight away. You don't want to stop the convoy every time some takes a .50 cal hit so you need to balance maintenance with speed.