fa3_a76_beer_run

Help make Party-approved missions harder
darkChozo
Host

fa3_a76_beer_run

Post by darkChozo »

AAF and FIA attempt to secure supplies from a NATO airdrop.

Let's do a thought exercise. Imagine for a second that you walked up to the crate and had an action to take supplies from it, instead of a disappointing nothing. In this magical world, what feedback might you have for this mission?

----------------------------------------------------
Version History

v1
Initial, bugged release.

Peasant

Re: fa3_a76_beer_run

Post by Peasant »

Cool idea, cool terrain. I don't know whether it was numbers or just a one off thing, but the JTAC s with bombs felt a bit overpowering.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Mmm, maybe. How much did the UAV operator help in accurately targeting bombs? It might be the case that JTAC is just OP when you slot UAV as well.

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

The UAV operator was useful for spotting targets, but the bomb that killed infor sniper team (and the other bomb that maybe killed some people? not sure?) was spotted by our sniper team then JTAC aimed through the binoculars. I think the issue was that because everyone was armed with 5.56, no-one bothered to try and shoot and ranges beyond 400m. That meant that as CO, if I wanted something more than 400m away to die, then I turned to my friendly neighbourhood drone controller.

I think that the 5.56 sniper teams should realise they are still effective at ranges beyond 400m Maybe lose the drones and have the JTAC have a very limited (no more than 4?) number of HE mortar shells? or maybe none at all, so the focus is really on using 5.56. rifles.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Were you using laser guidance? Other than that, the drones should be way, way less powerful than mortar HE, because they're on something like a 10 minute cooldown and take like a minute and a half to travel into the AO and drop the payload.

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

Not lased, but we were engaging a target that was stationary and bunched up. Was the purpose of including the drones to prevent people sitting on hill tops and encourage movement ? Or just to give JTAC an offensive weapon less powerful than the mortar HE/ gunships? Or just to educate people on the dangers of being stationary and bunched up?

What I'm tying to say is that the presence of the drone felt slightly off to me: the mission design from the briefing to the weapons all said 'we are a scrappy band of barely holding it together guerillas (and advisors) trying to steal a supply drop from a similarly scrappy government forces'. The drone says 'we also have the US airforce on our side'. There was also a low tech feel to the kit: we had binoculars, not rangefinders for example. Having the drone kinda went against that. It's possible that it's just me and that it's difficult to judge from one mission, but that's my initial impression.