[Sun] 11 May 2014 (Tigershark never dies)

How we died (in the future)
fer

[Sun] 11 May 2014 (Tigershark never dies)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Kav
  • Friend in Need
  • Crateresistance
  • Bay (limited objectives)
In the context of recent sessions, tonight's playercount of 40 brave comrades was a good turnout - thank you to all who made it along. It was particularly cool to see so many comrades in the opening mission, Kav, which is the third in the series following Pancho and Edna (both completed last week). Once again, we used the wave reinforcement mechanic, allowing early casualties and session late-comers to appear - like the cavalry - as a fully-manned and mechanised Charlie squad mid-way through the mission. The really amazing part was that CSL was Tigershark, but I'm sure - no, I could swear - that Tigershark was the original CO who died whilst riding in that lead IFV. But hey, I must be wrong, because according to the Party, comrade Tigershark never dies.

After comrade Ferrard Carson had led us to victory in Kav, the next mission was comrade Wolfenswan's Zeus-enabled version of Friend In Need, which was won by a very rapidly-moving BLUFOR. There then followed an equally one-sided play-through of Crateresistance, during which INDFOR was absolutely shredded by BLUFOR defenders of human and AI persuasions. Finally, we returned to the mission which opened our first official A3 session, Bay, for a limited objectives play-through under the command of comrade Dogface. Our reinforced squad very nearly completed its objective, but fell at the final hurdle.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Halop

Re: [Sun] 11 May 2014 (Tigershark never dies)

Post by Halop »

Kav
IFV3 Commander

IFV3 and IFV4 were under the command of bravo, and after mounting the troops we followed alpha down the road. Alpha took some fire and I saw a burning IFV with a lot of corpses piled up behind it, I turned in and we were weapons free. Thermals really helped here for spotting light-green pixel dots far away. We killed a lot of enemies while advancing alongside bravo, but then we were taken out by an RPG. I saw that all the systems turned red and ordered a bail, after we bailed the vehicle exploded, no casualties.

The crew took cover in a building, while bravo was taking fire from seemingly all directions, the perspective in the IFV was much different, only thing to worry about was RPG's, but suddenly you are exposed. We found some friendly corpses, and proceeded to loot them, I looted some gear from our late SL. Ebass took over the squad and merged IFV3 and IFV4 (who also lost their vehicle) into one team called bravo 2 (as the real bravo 2 was destroyed by this point). We cleared some buildings, watched the charlie cavalry arrive, and watched as charlie IFV blew up an enemy IFV, then the mission ended!

Friend in Need
OPFOR
A3(?) FTL

We were driving in the kamaz to the AO, then we spotted a chopper. We all got out and fired at the heli to seemingly no effect. We watched the heli for a few minutes more as it flew really low and then disappeared. The rest of the way we went on foot, my fireteam was falling behind as I was so tired and couldn't keep up :( . Then we saw the convoy and the enemy too, all seemed well we were doing good - advancing, covering, killing enemies, but then suddenly mission failed. Oh well, at least I didn't die.

Crateresistance
Indy
Alpha(?)AAR
FTL:Wolfenswan

All I can say about this is - confusion and death, a few times I couldn't engage the enemy because I was not sure were they friendly or not as they were hiding right on top of us. Me and my teammate were the only people alive after the mission ended, and we got one cache too!

Bay
A2 FTL

Charged the first objective in formation - received the first bullet. :D
Last edited by Halop on Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fer

Post by fer »

Halop wrote:We were driving in the kamaz to the AO, then we spotted a chopper. We all got out and fired at the heli to seemingly no effect.
Thanks for reminding about this, comrade Halop - it's something I wanted to post about (because I was spectating the whole mission).

Please see: Helicopter fixation (and why it's bad)

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

fer wrote:
Halop wrote:We were driving in the kamaz to the AO, then we spotted a chopper. We all got out and fired at the heli to seemingly no effect.
Thanks for reminding about this, comrade Halop - it's something I wanted to post about (because I was spectating the whole mission).

Please see: Helicopter fixation (and why it's bad)

Well, to be honest, the chopper was following the CSAT truck for quite some time and was fired upon (somebody shouted we are taking fire), so the act of stopping, getting out and having it go away by filling it up with some lead seemed reasonable to me. However, I do agree we sat by our truck too long after the chopper went away (without taking the truck again to make due for lost time). Besides, nobody likes a hostile chopper tailing them and keeping an eye constantly on us, seeing what we were up to, especially if the helicopter was so close and low.

Note, I was just A1 FTL lead under Halop (ASL).

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Ferrards Workshop
A1 FTL/Acting SL

So, for this we did the usual. First some bounding, then some squad movement and fire, then some discussion about map-reading and squad movement from a CO perspective.
It's both a useful pre-session warmup, and contains lots of nice insights. (If only insights about ones own inability to remember what stuff is called in english.)

Kav
B2 AR FTL : Aquarius, AAR : Christof_II, AT : crustycuffs

So, apparently something happened, and before we're even heading to our first waypoint we're told that there'll be charred Tiger-ribs for everybody by the front. :fry:

We dismounted slightly south of the barbecue, and headed into the reeds to move north in cover. That was intense fun, with the smattering of the IFV's in the background and the occasional plink plink of enemies firing on us. We were then told to move eastwards to the barn south of the road, and this led to me and Aquarius' getting on the wrong side of enemy shootybangs.

:hist101: Reinforcement Squad
C2 AR FTL : Aquarius AAR : Cyborg Ninja AI, AT : forgotten.

For Tiger is the death and the resurrection, and on we went. Not much to say about this part than that we did what we should, and eventually won. The Ifrit to the NW of the map never registered our presence, and remained inactive 'till our AT-guy made it go kersplooey.

Friend in Need
Chopperfor
A1 FTL AR : TigerShark, AAR :Willem, AT : tiredhippo

The chopper ride was very intense, and Ebass, our pilot, really had his work cut out for him. We survived :dance: disembarked and moved through the forest towards the truck. As it was, opfor was way too far away to be an effective threat, and we blew up what we needed to and moved back. I was amongst those mowed down on the retreat, but no matter.

Also, the chopper died due to some technical problems for EBass apparently, so the victory wasn't as pyrrhic as it seemed. Too bad really, would've been nice if we had an extract. "Runforyourlivesinthatdirection" isn't the grandest of escapes.

Crateresistance
Defendfor
Alpha Medic ASL : Dogface

First, we crash all our vehicles, then we run! Sounds like a plan..... :jihad:

Due to the magic of "enemy markers in global" some things were more obvious than others. Unfortunately, the obvious parts did not extend to the enemy CO and some others coming in from the NE. Which led to the prompt demise of me and Dogface.

Also. To all the confused people. TAGS exist for this one. Feel free to use them.

Bay
A1 AAR FTL : Croc, AR : Fer, AT : thippo?

Lotsa fun. Lotsa fog. Then we all died in the village.

Halop

Post by Halop »

Well, to be honest, the chopper was following the CSAT truck for quite some time and was fired upon (somebody shouted we are taking fire), so the act of stopping, getting out and having it go away by filling it up with some lead seemed reasonable to me. However, I do agree we sat by our truck too long after the chopper went away (without taking the truck again to make due for lost time). Besides, nobody likes a hostile chopper tailing them and keeping an eye constantly on us, seeing what we were up to, especially if the helicopter was so close and low.

Note, I was just A1 FTL lead under Halop (ASL).
In this situation, yeah getting out and firing seemed like the right choice as the chopper was really buzzing us close, but it did make us immobile as Fer said, so I dunno at the time it seemed like the right thing but in hindsight probably not. Also I was not the SL I was an FTL :D (Let's find the guilty party :commissar: )
I was amongst those mowed down on the retreat, but no matter.
I got you, and I though I was shooting at AI, had no idea there were players in that area :D

Also. To all the confused people. TAGS exist for this one. Feel free to use them.
Yeah in hindsight that bandanna guy on the second floor of the building was probably not one of ours, but I stared at him and he stared at me, so all was good. :mrgreen:

boberro

Post by boberro »

Kav
IFV1 Driver

In the front of the column. As we approached combat area I closed the hatch. Second later we got shot. Through choppy VON I wasn't able to tell anyone that we won't be able to move anymore. Machine exploded before I jumped out.

IFV5 Driver
This time our IFV stayed back, to Tigersharks confusion, as each time he'd have to ask if IFV5 or IFV6 is the one in front. Also, I stumbled upon a bug, giving the driver 360 field of view, if he turned himself in while zooming in - I used this one without feeling bad about it, since it's 2035 and it should be a standard feature anyway.

I'm not sure if we did any damage to the enemy, but at least we survived, and I guess this works good on overall morale.

Friend in need
Someone at CSAT

Amerykanski chopper blitzed above us, so we dismounted and scattered. We hiked a little, then popped some shots are pixels in a distance, then usa... nato won.

Crateresistance
FIA, A3 (?), AR

We moved to the overlook position, and (with my AR) I moved to "king of a hill" tower position (had to give another team a ride first, after they rocked/stoned their car). Our intelligence gained enemy plans, but even without them I had pretty decent view on enemy trying to be sneaky. We marked them, and squad leader knew about them, but still ASL positioned himself on their path and died.
Mission ended soon after our team was sent south, and before we got off the hill.

Bay
MAT

In my office we have a hand dryer that can't get too hot, because it refuses to work for next few hours after that. Unfortunately looks like heat seeking in Arma3 work just like that because after being locked on target for too long, my launcher refused to work as well...
When I helping MMG team with overwatch, I found one terminator-ish like patrol that refused to die for 3 mags worth of shooting, from close-mid distance, and strolled into the mist. Weird...
After this incidents I wasn't so surprised when guy I got with auto-fire from a close distance turned around and killed me.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Halop wrote:In this situation, yeah getting out and firing seemed like the right choice as the chopper was really buzzing us close, but it did make us immobile as Fer said, so I dunno at the time it seemed like the right thing but in hindsight probably not. Also I was not the SL I was an FTL :D (Let's find the guilty party :commissar: )
I personally thinking we did the right choice until the very end. We stuck around for too long and not go mobile (with the truck) after the chopper buzzed off.

Also, it seems I have a bad memory on remembering on who was my SL.
audiox wrote:Also. To all the confused people. TAGS exist for this one. Feel free to use them.
For whatever reasons, TAGS didn't work for me.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Draakon wrote: For whatever reasons, TAGS didn't work for me.
Aye, i tend to not use them. When the mission started they were turned on, then they somehow got turned off and i couldn't turn them back on.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Workshop
Deployed as Glorious Instructor-Dude

The basics emerged once more, as I ran our comrades through the firing-lane bounding exercises, then graduated to the squad-level Fire & Maneuver exercise. Bullets flew, and we discussed the ineffectualness of sparsely-used smoke (a.k.a., "Smoke with an entire FT to make a screen big enough for a squad.")

Then we stared intently at our maps, concentrating on how we would clear the "Crazy-Insane Convoy Adversarial" terrain in reverse, with me tossing out a few obviously hare-brained approaches and asking people to pick them apart.
  • Plan #1: Just Drive, Drive, Drive.
    Plan #2: Clear the road (but ignore the mountain).
    Plan #3: Send one squad up the mountain alone and keep everyone else 700m back!
    Plan #4: Ideal case (Alpha clears defilade to the north, Charlie clears mountain to the south, Bravo clears the road and stands by to assist either flanking squad)
Kav
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader Acting CO

With great gusto, Tigershark announced his intentions to ride in IFV1, and for IFVs 1 and 2 to charge up the valley until stopping to disembark troops so we could move on a hilltop marked "Recon-Team Alpha". GLORY, for the CO shall be riding at our front, waving a sword to urge all glorious comrades onwards! Don't mind me, I'll be in the back, quietly arranging for ASL and CO to not be in the same vehicle and for A1 and ASL to not be in the same vehicle. No, no reason at all... >.>

"We're taking HMG fire!" I hear from IFV1. "Push through," I respond. "You're free to respond in kind." And BOOM goes IFV1 :siiigh: "All elements, this is Alpha Squad Leader taking command of the platoon."

From that point on, I maneuvered the squads carefully. Mamuto's A2 Fire Team were brilliant, achieving the secondary and then primary peak of our original objective with Willam's IFV2 providing some fantastic fire-support. Upon the hilltop, they found an enemy MMG and that pesky enemy HMG, both of which we then repurposed to form a truly frightening base of fire.

From there, we supported Bravo as they snuck north through a reed-filled ditch, then wheeled and dealed on the Eastern side of the road, clearing buildings until their IFVs bit the dust along with their squad lead and about half their initial numbers. Bravo's remnants went firm before I could tell them to, and we all settled down to await newly-announced reinforcements.

And reinforce they did - Charlie came barreling up the road and dove into the fray with expert leadership from... COMRADE TIGER! I see reports of your death were greatly exaggerated!

Alpha's waves of MG fire had already cleared away most of the patrols in the area while IFV2's MG rattled endlessly to clear enemies from the Eastern Ridge, leaving Charlie the task of clearing out buildings in the Western half of the AO whilst Bravo provided a warning-cordon against any potential mechanized counter-attack from our next objective. After some engineering logistics to get our IFVs back up and running, the entire platoon charged into the next sector as one raging wave of American testosterone. We saw sheets of tracers headed across the valley, with Charlie to the left on high ground, Bravo slowly picking its way forward on the hill to the right, and Alpha charging up the center with most glorious IFV2.

When Bravo announced the presence of an enemy vehicle, I knew what had to happen. Willem's brave IFV2, the stalwart survivor of all our initial IFVs (not even a scratch on the paint!) crested the hill at my side, and I watched as they delivered point-blank sabot shots into the enemy's face until the vehicle mushroomed spectacularly.

A Friend in Need
Deployed as OpFor Bravo Medic

The understrength Bravo set off to the south of the AO with My Little Ifritini in tow. Upon arrival, we could see BluFor's chopper already landed and disgorging the entirety of NATO's squad. When it coasted over to us, obviously setting up a strafing run, all of Bravo plus our lil' Ifritini opened up. No effect on the airframe, though I believe we must have shot the gunner right out from his seat because the chopper never fired on us again.

The damage was done, though - poor Waffles had taken a bullet to the brainpan (squish!) and Bravo 1's FTL finally got us moving again after getting a handle on what had just happened. We were charging across the field, nearly-winchester Ifritini still in tow, when the caches blew and NATO won.

:owned:

More seriously: Wafflynumber made the right call having Bravo open up on the chopper in its initial run - it was obviously coming in for a strafing run, and needed to be dealt with. More of us needed to shoot at the tail-rotor rather than the main body, for I think we're all still in that A2 mindset of "Shoot out the gunner and shoot out the engine block" when that is no longer a plausible course of action with A3's much more survivable choppers.

On its second run, we fired at it again, but that's when we should have realized that it was safe to ignore from that point on, for EBass did the whole "pop flares over them" thing that no one does unless their guns are useless. We were slow in transitioning to B1 FTL's command though, and he had his hands full trying to understand the situation from atop the sorriest excuse for a "hill" we've ever seen.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."