[Tue] 27 May 2014 (You can be assault element!)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Tue] 27 May 2014 (You can be assault element!)

Post by audiox »

Thanks to all attendees during the nights session, we peaked at around 32 people, which is quite good indeed!

This was also my first time ever as host, and you made it a lot easier by slotting fast and letting me know when things were amiss. From now on you'll occasionally all have audiox problems on tuesdays!

Tonight we played :
  • Rapid Reaction
  • Low Tide
  • Jolly Coopertaion
  • The Back Foot

and then for the afterparty shenenigans
  • Roomservice
  • Infection
We went all the way from adversarial, through cooperative, to cooperative adversarial and then back again to adversarial. Here's to hoping everybody had a good time! AAR's are as usual very welcome, as they help pave the way for world domination us a great deal.

syrion

Re: [Tue] 27 May 2014 (You can be assault element!)

Post by syrion »

Second session! It was quite fun.

Rapid Reaction. Not much to say about this one. Our side was too slow, and so lost the opportunity to take out the target. Alas. I was AAR in Aqarius' fireteam; we took no casualties, which is frankly a bad sign. There was some fairly intense contact at a couple of points, but nothing decisive enough to help the team win.

Low Tide. This was a lot more eventful. I was in Alpha 1, with bones, TacticalSloth, and... brinkley? (Sorry, I forgot your name. I am a terrible person.) We started out headed west, took out a couple of EI in a building along the way, and generally moved forward in bounding maneuvers. It was good, up until we started taking contacts from the west with next to no cover. That was a bit stressful, especially when I realized our CO was standing out in the open with us...

The contact was not decisive, and we turned more northerly while Bravo ended up pursuing those contacts through the woods. Judging from the sound of the AR fire from that direction a bit later, some terror ensued; I look forward to reading the AARs. Unfortunately, after this it started to go "poorly" for A1 as well. We took HMG fire, which instantly took out bones. Sloth was promptly promoted, and just about as promptly got shot taking point into a building. That brought me up. I told brinkley (...sorry...) that I had a brilliant plan that consisted of not getting shot, he said that sounded great, and then he promptly got shot.

:siiigh:

I took out the contacts who had killed both Sloth and brinkley--which appeared to be a glitched stack of 2 EI on the top floor of a building, explaining their deadliness--and then proceeded to Lord Penney's position. After joining his fireteam, we proceeded to clear buildings methodically (very, very methodically) through the town until our team won the mission. Overall, this was a good mission, but the lack of cover was brutal as we approached the town.

Jolly Cooperation. I enjoyed Jolly Cooperation, but it's a bit of a weird mission. You are actually discouraged from cooperating; whoever attempts to clear the objectives is going to lose. In this situation, the only logical solution would be to sit back and wait for the other people to attack, then valiantly fail to do anything when they do. I like the concept of the mission, but I just don't see how it can work in its present form. But enough.

In this mission, I was in Mr-Link's fire team, on CSAT. We proceeded through the town rather sloppily, but it really didn't matter: we only killed two or three EI in the whole mission, I think, and never had an engagement with the AAF. Alas. The carnivorous buildings were quite a threat, however, as they tried to eat me twice and nearly killed stff...

I sat out The Back Foot, as my old-man eyes had started to bother me... but I'll be back next week, no worries. :D

Satire

Post by Satire »

Rapid Reaction - FIA CO

The plan was to split into two parts, one cover element of myself and A1 would get up on a nearby hill and spot enemies/make a lot of noise, while an assault force of two fireteams under ASL Iceraiser's command would go house to house from the opposite direction, hopefully rooting out the cowering HVT before his ride out arrived.

I'll say it now, we were too slow. I should have been more aggressive at the start with my element and engaged right away rather than spotting first. We were the distraction after all. That said, the assault team worked like clockwork, and it was just down to the sheer balls/skill of the evac pilot that the HVT slipped out of our grasp. Knowing that there were still some bodyguards in the area, as well as two fresh faced arrivals from the chopper, I ordered a sweep and clear to ensure their gaming enjoyment :lol:

Low Tide - Bravo SL

A full bravo AND MMG? Ain't I getting all the toys today!

Having taken a liking to the whole commanding lark, I decided to grab a sqaud of my own. After screening the North and covering Alpha's push along the coast we headed along the road into town before being switched to the south of it. The terrain is, for lack of a better word, bloody horrible round this part of Altis, so I left it down to FTL's to find good spots for their men, and you guys did a great job.

Once on the south we pushed out to a Y-Junction and began to take casualties from increasingly tenacious AAF. Being tasked with advancing on either the airfield perimeter or the town itself, I spied a possible route to a petrol station near the airfield perimeter, a great spot of cover and a nice place to settle down for tea and bicces while we waited for Alpha. So we headed out.

Then the Gorgon happened.

A wild AAF Gorgon manage to get within 100m of us, guns blazing and reducing B3 to a sole survivor. B2 managed to hit it with a rocket at what felt like stupid close range and it went up in flames, letting us continue the advance.

Then the Attack Helicopter happened.

Now, I've faced these before and they never, ever, ever seem to shoot. It's like the AAF Army Air Corps is staffed by pacifists or something. So imaging my surprise when it blew my squad to bits, before mini-gunning me in the ass! :argh:

Down to roughly a fireteam I decided that it was time for heroes, and that petrol station would be the site of our... er... heroism. I sped a nice gulleythat would get us close enough to throw grenades and assault on to victory. Unfortunately, the HMG had other ideas, and left me dead on the ground.

Jolly Cooperation - CSAT A1 AT

After the giddy highs of command I felt like skulking around with the PBI for a change. Most of the mission was spent watching AAf from a distance, feeling like a cross between observers and wierd AAF obsessed stalkers. By the time we hit the outskirts of Pyrgos we began to get stuck it, taking fire from all sorts of angles. I ended up investigating a building full of dead AAF, with the end result of becoming the first CSAT corpse on display in said house.

Sadly, since getting up at 5:20am is now a thing I had to make excuses and leave, but thanks again to all involved for a great session!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

INinja132

Post by INinja132 »

Rapid Reaction
FIA Alpha 1 AR - FTL = Lord Penney/AAR = Mr-Link/AT = Homercleese

Our FTL was tasked with setting a base of fire on the Southern hill overlooking the main convoy area. Even from long range we could see the PMCs running around the compounds and buildings. Despite a frankly ridiculous volume of fire we put down, most of it was ineffective from the distance we were at, although it did seem to suppress the enemy fairly effectively. Once the chopper arrived we proceeded to fill that full of lead too, but apparently to no avail as it performed an incredibly brave (or stupid) extraction under heavy fire, and escaped seemingly unharmed.

Low Tide
Bravo 2 AAR - FTL = Homercleese/AAR = Dan/AT = Mr-Link

We took sporadic fire from the forests along our approach for a while, and then seemingly everything went wrong over the course of about two minutes. When the smoke cleared all of Bravo had been taken out by an IFV, an HMG and a helicopter.

Jolly Cooperation
CSAT Alpha FTL - AR = Tired Hippo/AAR = Lord Penney/AT = Satire

We backed up the AAF assault for the opening stages of the mission, and didn't really come into serious contact until a good 20 minutes in. When we did things got rather confused, as it seemed as though we were being fired upon from multiple sides and at very long distances. As we pushed into the town proper our squad leader went down, putting me in charge of Alpha, whilst almost simultaneously Satire went down in the house of death. We proceeded to finish clearing the second objective, and then moved in on the third objective as well. Despite the near constant voiding of the final compound by AAF (the sneaky traitors) we had the element of surprise following the elimination of the final enemy in the town, and Alpha 3 was able to sweep in and win us the mission.

Rook

Post by Rook »

Rapid Reaction - PMC Medic

We were to hold the village until evac arrived for our VIP. Luckily, we spotted the FIA bastards up on the hill early on and we all set up defenses to brace for their fire. What we DIDN'T see was their two assault teams sneaking in. Luckily Zitron flew in taking hilarious amounts of fire (I was shouting on the radio for him to flyover and try another LZ) but somehow, SOMEHOW managed to pick up the VIP and get out of there. My eight surrounding smoke grenades may or may not have helped. Eventually a stray shot caught my leg, and as I crawled to a building and hid to heal, dancemoox found me and executed me without mercy.

Low Tide - B1 FTL

Having only faint control over my rowdy fireteam, we moved west until a chopper strafed us and we died.

Jolly Cooperation - CSAT CO

Bones' honesty was disturbing, as he happily volunteered his force to clear most of the objectives. I had a feeling he was up to something, especially when my strategic advisor travelling with them died in 'mysterious circumstances' (Yeah right Kefirz you lying scandinavian you :psyduck: ).

As CSAT finished off the last objective, I primed A3 to sweep in and take the laptop, and after Kefirz had been wounded a few times 'moox and his team swept in and grapped the laptop.

Sorry Bones, maybe next time buddy :cop: