[Tue] 10 Jun 2014 (Tactical Trucks of Boom!)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Tue] 10 Jun 2014 (Tactical Trucks of Boom!)

Post by audiox »

Missions:
  • Crateresistance
  • Idiots
  • FoxHunt
  • Church of Kerry
Afterparty :
  • Karts, karts everywhere. (Racethunder)

This evening saw 28 brave comrades off to equal parts horrible death and sweet success. If whomever crashed that truck in the beginning of Crateresistance makes sure to fill out the insurance papers then we'd all appreciate it! :dance:

I had a blast, and i hope you all did as well. Be sure to tell us all about it in the confessional booth below. :P

As noted, we have more of these - >

Wouldn't they look cool in your possession? And wouldn't it be cool if that unmarked van currently parked outside were to disappear again? I'm not sayin' the two are linked, but hey, it sure would be odd!
More information in this post : http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1326
And on this totally legit internet site that wants your money : http://deadfrogstudios.com/folkarps/
All proceeds will go directly to the Folk ARPS unmarked van fund!

audiox
Host

Re: [Tue] 10 Jun 2014 (Tactical Trucks of Boom!)

Post by audiox »

syrion

Post by syrion »

Comrades, today was my first day as a FTL. To glory! :hist101:

Cratesistance. Someone's truck exploded! We restarted!

Cratesistance. The wrong mission! We restarted!

Cratesistance. Ended up being A1 FTL with stff/Zenzos as blue team and Fidel as my rifleman. After an interminable truck ride in which I could see nothing (why is the roof so low, BIS? Why?) We got out and trekked across a mountain to the first "kosh." :mrgreen: It was only defended by an AI, who dropped quickly. The trek to the next cache became more eventful, as our SL died and I became the nominal squad leader. I was worthless and accomplished nothing except being a distraction with my fireteam as A3 flanked and actually took out the cache. I should've taken A3 or A2 to avoid the perils of leadership! That said, my only real comment is that when the FTL says "retreat due west to defilade," it's probably okay to just run like hell. (Blame the cowardice on your leader! :eng101: )

Idiots. I took B1 this time. (Why didn't I learn my lesson? Always take the second or third fireteam!) I had Matt and Alibambam as my blue team and Pickers as my rifleman. (Even though this mission has no AR/AAR...) We were very effectively managed by Draakon, and ended up taking an objective with no losses and very sporadic, low-level contacts. (Which is the goal in a mission like this, after all.) All in all, this mission felt very smooth. Draakon died right at the end of the mission, and I passed control over to Gaius, who got to give the order for victory fire. During which we suffered our only casualty, as Pickers was brought low by Alibambam's celebrations! :lol:

Foxhunt. I took INDFOR A2 FTL. I had stff and Mr-Link as my AR and Rifleman, and all was golden. Fidel joined us a short time into the mission. We cleared two compounds, taking some effective fire but keeping everybody up as we pushed through. The terrain was very exposed, but we continued to push northeast... then I received a command from headquarters to prepare a package for shipment and deliver it to Waypoint UPS. This was higher priority, and I broke off for the special assignment, leaving stff in charge.

Note -- any feedback on my FTLing is welcome.

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

syrion wrote: Foxhunt. I took INDFOR A2 FTL. I had stff and Mr-Link as my AR and Rifleman, and all was golden. Fidel joined us a short time into the mission. We cleared two compounds, taking some effective fire but keeping everybody up as we pushed through. The terrain was very exposed, but we continued to push northeast... then I received a command from headquarters to prepare a package for shipment and deliver it to Waypoint UPS. This was higher priority, and I broke off for the special assignment, leaving stff in charge.
After you left we gathered around your now very calm AI trying to see if we can get any useful stuff from the backpack. We debated if I should try to reconnect in your slot so that we can get the useful binoculars and GPS that you were carrying. Meanwhile, comrade Draakon was close by, nicely sneaking up on us with a DMR no less. Luckily, your AI saw him and immediately shot him like a boss. At first I thought the AI went mad and starting shooting on its former comrades but in fact it was shooting right behind us like a scene from a cheap Hollywood movie :coolbert: It was kind of fail moment as the AI was much more aware of our security and our surroundings than three separate humans :siiigh:

Anyways, soon after the other teams dispatched the final dude(s) and the mission ended with an AAF victory :mrgreen:

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Crateresistance: Alpha 3 FTL, IndFor

We crashed. Then the host started the wrong mission, then we lost.

The CO/SL seemed confused during the mission, and sent Alpha 3 into a town that was obviously not occupied, leaving the cache undefended. When we were flanked, it all went down hill. I managed to get to the Hill with the church, but the CO's kept on sending my team away from the combat to maintain overwatch, when we would have been better in the fray.

:commissar: *Gaius was shot for insubordination*

Note: The order to head to Alpha 2's position was Alpha 1 FTL's order. Considering that by the point we made it to the town, FIA was already attacking the cache, the flank seemed irrelevant.

Idiots: B2 FTL

Certainly the highlight of the session for me. With Draakon as SL, Bravo went smooth. After a peaceful HALO drop to the sweet musings of Steppenwolf, B2 landed at the LZ without incident. We formed up, and started moving to the B1 waypoint. Upon hitting the waypoint, we encountered NATO danger close, and fell on our bellies, ready to kill them.

Draakon waved us off, and we pulled back, we were to attack from a different location.

So, we moved South and West from our previous location, all the while finding more tangos in the brush to our North. Bravo pushed forward across a fence, and into the forest, where we were engaged, Danger Close, by the contacts from before. L33t sniper team B2 took them down in seconds, but not before they fired shots, alerting the base to our infiltration.

B2 encountered a few more NATO fireteams, and swiftly dealt with them. We only suffered one injury. I stayed behind to treat him until the medic arrived, like a true Fireteam Leader.

Me and Fidel moved on the AA truck, with Blue team maintaining overwatch of two tangos on a ridgeline to our East. We placed satchels, and ran behind a stone fence, where we blew the cache, lighting up the entire area in a massive explosion. Followed by an even larger secondary explosion as the ordinance detonated.

Following a brief running firefight along a road, with each contact being called out, and their death called out shortly after that, we made it to the town, and the mission was called shortly after my field promotion to Squad Leader.

Foxhunt IndFor CO

Having gone through the mission with Audiox, I decided that the actual plan of having two elements assault the mission was actually sound. The mistake that had been made before was not taking the highest ground possible.

My plan was for Alpha and Bravo to move along the Western Ridgeline towards each other, forcing the enemy forces to stand their ground, and not be all guerillay as they might otherwise want to.

The other reason I split up the Squads was a simple observation I've discovered in FA. We are more competent in smaller units. Splitting the Squads turned the SL's into mini CO's, wholly independent of each other.

Everything went well, despite Homercleese mistaking the mission for a Cache detonation. :colbert:

I don't believe we even took a casualty...

:dance:
Last edited by Gaia on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

As CO of Idiots I commened all involved. Excellently executed mission.

I also hope SL's appreciated the freedom given to execute attacks on their on their objectives and limited comms.

I must say...I like the use of UAV in these missions.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

My apologies to syrion for having to bow out of "Idiots" just as things were happening. I'd completely misjudged the time. It sounds like things went exceedingly well without me there as a bullet sponge, but I don't like leaving people because I apparently can't read a clock...

Also, thanks to Fer for keeping me alive and out of the action in "Cratesistance". I saw you and Alpha 1 getting into position, and then things seemed to go south within seconds. Since there were some big stonking rocks between me and the action, what exactly happened with Alpha 1?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

fer

Post by fer »

Gaius wrote:The CO/SL seemed confused during the mission, and sent Alpha 3 into a town that was obviously not occupied, leaving the cache undefended. When we were flanked, it all went down hill. I managed to get to the Hill with the church, but the CO's kept on sending my team away from the combat to maintain overwatch, when we would have been better in the fray.
I was the original CO, and when it looked like we would be fighting the enemy on the high ground to the North-West, I ordered your fireteam to move north to the Gas station, then hook around the wooded hill to the North so that you would eventually hit the enemy from (his) East. Alpha 2 was (purposely) left in position on the hill with the chapel and supposed to keep at least a pair of eyes on the cache. What happened that you ended up at the hill with the chapel? Were you given new orders?
Thirith wrote:Also, thanks to Fer for keeping me alive and out of the action in "Cratesistance". I saw you and Alpha 1 getting into position, and then things seemed to go south within seconds. Since there were some big stonking rocks between me and the action, what exactly happened with Alpha 1?
Remember in Star Wars (the original film) when Luke Skywalker is looking at some Sand People through binos because they were far away, and then there's a Sand Person RIGHT THERE!! ??? Something like that.

:siiigh:

Essentially, although I correctly guessed the enemy's direction of approach, I repositioned my forces piecemeal and too slowly. Ultimately, I didn't have enough people on the high ground to fight there, whilst at the same time taking too many people away from the original 'iron triangle' to make it effective. What I do wonder about, having watched Kefirz sneaking to the cache, is whether A2 maintained eyes on the cache throughout, or if everyone became fixated on the enemy to the North-West.

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Remember in Star Wars (the original film) when Luke Skywalker is looking at some Sand People through binos because they were far away, and then there's a Sand Person RIGHT THERE!! ??? Something like that.

:siiigh:

Obviously there is only one way to win against the Tusken gambit: naked flying people. Right?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

willem

Post by willem »

Crateresistance
INDFOR A3 FTL with Iceraiser, Lithion and Kefirz.

After destroying the first cache Kefirz was tasked we retrieving the truck and the rest of us moved on towards the hill overlooking the second cache. Contacts were spotted on the hill and we moved in with the rest of the squad. The other fireteams engaged contacts and we lost Lithion somewhere on the hill. Not wanting to stick around, Iceraiser and me kept moving forward while Kefirz drove around the hill in his truck.

Kefirz made it to the cache first and obliterated the ai guarding the cache. Unfortunately he didn't have satchels. Iceraiser got in a position overlooking the cache and spotted a single enemy near the cache. I hid took up position in the bushes near the cache. After Kefirz and Iceraiser took out the enemy I made a run for the cache and destroyed it.

Idiots
OPFOR A2 FTL with Kefirz, Mr Link and Lithion.

This mission went very well, great communication within the squad and the fireteam. After a smooth landing our squad took up position east of the AO. We spotted a lot of 2 man patrols patrolling. We moved in a position to assault an AA vehicle in the north.

During the assault a patrol suddenly popped up right in front of me and shot me. While I lay on the ground the rest of my fireteam killed the 2 hapless bastards and got me back on my feet. After destroying the AA and someone's house we moved south for the final objective.

We covered A1 while they planted charges at the armoured vehicle and destroyed it.

Foxhunt
INDFOR A2(?) FTL with Kefirz and Pickers.

We were tasked with covering the other fireteam while they cleared 2 compounds. After lots of tracers and fireworks they killed an enemy in the first compound. Our next task was moving through a patch of trees up the northern hill. We took sporadic fire and killed an enemy we encountered in the trees.

On the hilltop we had a clear view over the rest of the AO and were in a good position to cover Bravo in their assault on the compound. All of a sudden an enemy popped up in front of us in the open and after exchanging fire we took him down. The mission ended shortly afterwards.

Church of Kerry
BLUFOR A2 FTL

I made some bad decisions here. We were in a perfect position to cover the entrance of the church from the hill. I decided to spread out my fireteam too much and under the cover of darkness enemies managed to sneak inbetween the individual fireteam members. They hadn't noticed us either and opened fire on the town. I shifted focus on the contacts nearby and it was a bit confusing who was friendly and who wasn't. Meanwhile enemies got in the church and murdered our dearest Kerry.