[Sun] 15 Jun 2014 (Syrian Rebel Sim 2015)

How we died (in the future)
fer

[Sun] 15 Jun 2014 (Syrian Rebel Sim 2015)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Inter IV (Gatolina)
  • Bedtime II
  • 310 to Kavala
  • Inter IV (Orino)
After-Party:
  • Racethunder XL (comrade Head wins)
  • Racethunder XL (comrade Draakon wins ... at night)
I like to think that playing in an FA session is fun regardless of numbers, but when - as tonight - the brigade swells to 42 comrades or more, magic starts to happen. Numbers like that allow our adversarials to become squad-sized clashes, and our coops to become platoon+ affairs. It's awesome, and the Party is grateful to all comrades who came along, as well as to our returning friends from the 1Tac community. Seeing a whole platoon of the Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan in the name of Che Guevara in action almost made up for my outrage at the lack of bloodbath in Bedtime II. Plus, all of the missions in the main part of the session used F3 v3-1-0 RC5, so you have the gratitude of the F3 team as well as the Politburo.

We began and ended with brand new mission, Inter IV, which is my Internecine missions from A2OA ported to ArmA 3. There have been some changes: the location is randomised, the attacking side is chosen by the host, everyone deploys by group teleport, and Katibas replace AKs; oh yes, and there are UAVs. Killer UAVs (as it turns out). We first fought over the village of Gatolina in the North-East, but even with a numerical advantage CSAT-sympathisers couldn't quite dislodge the AAF-loyalists. At the end of the session we fought over Orino in the North-West (site of the Idiots mission), during which the defending CSAT-sympathisers made lethal use of their UAV, and comrade Draakon demonstrated IceRaiser-like flanking moves.

:jihad:

Mission #2 of the session was also new: Bedtime II, an up-scaled mash-up of two missions I wrote for the original Folk sessions (Bedtime and Cordonbleu). Against the odds, we didn't blow ourselves up, and instead managed to successfully ambush the AAF foot patrols sweeping nightime Neochori. There were some dicey moments as the platoon scrambled to find rockets and deal with the incoming HMG Striders, but field-promoted CO comrade Draakon (ASL) eventually took us all safely out of the enemy cordon. I heard a rumour that comrade Dannysaysno put on an enemy helmet and was 'accidentally' shot by his own troops in Charlie. But that couldn't possibly happen with the Third, right?

:laugh:

Mission #3, and the grand set-piece of the session, was a slightly re-worked version of comrade Wolfenswan's 310 to Kavala. It was pretty damn epic: our platoon of 2.5 squads pushed methodically up the AO, clearing out the hapless AAF conscripts in a series of neatly co-ordinated movements. Then we played Syrian Rebel Sim 2015, and spent a lot of time counting, placing and worrying about rockets, mines and satchels to construct the World's Best Ambush Ever. Then we waited for an enemy convoy to turn up. Good sports that the enemy were, they let us rocket a few of their softer-skinned vehicles before atomising us with their AA assets. Thankfully, the Party controls the media and the server was persuaded to invoke an ending that suggested our mission was a total success. Which, if anyone ever asks you, it was. Right, comrade?

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Aqarius
Host

Re: [Sun] 15 Jun 2014 (Syrian Rebel Sim 2015)

Post by Aqarius »

Inter IV (Gatolina)
OPFOR BM, attacking
Bravo advanced towards a greenery-infested ravine, while alpha supposedly covered us from the powerplant. The ironsights, however, did noone any favors, and most of bravo was lost to a pair of dudes holed up behind a little church. Alpha later got to the town, but it was too late.

Bedtime II
OPFOR C2 RM
As soon as the blasts went off, all hell broke loose. There was infantry milling about, IFVs raining down death, no AT to speak of, and not even weapons for our fireteam until someone FF'ed Danny. In a chaotic retreat, we crawled along the beach, and managed to slip out westward. The Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan In The Name Of Che Guevara lives to fight another day!

3:10 to Kavala
BLUFOR CO
Alpha took out a vantage point, and bravo advanced through the town with charlie and MAT covering. The advance went smoothly, with relatively little holdup and almost no casualties. The sweep was so thorough, it would seem, we even outmatched a script trigger. Then came the ambush, with AT-less Bravo holding middle, a rather grumpy Alpha holding rear, and Charlie and MAT poised to take out the armor. See, what I don't get is, Ai infantry would literally walk over a satchel and not even notice it, but vehicles not only see them, but go nuts and start shooting. Anyway, we threw what we had at the convoy, but we only had a few rockets, and the AA vehicle simply was no match for our valiant comrades, as the enemy has yet to invent a weapon as fierce as the party's iron will! Glory to our struggle, and glory to our agrarian utopia!

Inter IV (Orino)
INDFOR A3 RM, attacking
I must say, not advancing over wide open terrain certainly makes it easier to attack. I even survived long enough to reach a house!
[/allegedly]

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Aqarius wrote:..and not even weapons for our fireteam until someone FF'ed Danny.
That would have been me. C3 was destroyed apart from me and I was cut off with HMG death to the west of me and nasty men between me and the coast. Danny it wasn't the best idea to dress in AAF combat vest and helmet, its why I shot you.. Through my lifted NVG you looked exactly like the enemy, stick with the less enemy looking headgear next time..
ramming speed!

Snippers

Post by Snippers »

Inter IV (Gatolina)
OPFOR (Attackers) - Alpha (1 or 2) Rifleman
This was a really nice adversarial mission. We moved into a powerplant compound overlooking some of the the town. We engaged defenders from the roof of a building at the powerplant, this proved to be quite effective as it had a really good view and allowed us to stay fairly low (prone/sitting postures). Once it was clear that the defenders were no longer maintaining much fire towards us, we moved in. Our approach offered little in the way of cover, and as fireteam on point we were met with many bullets.

Bedtime II
Opfor - B2 - FTL
During the ambush we acted as Bravo's rear guard, this also meant that our fireteam didn't see much of a fight at the start, we assisted the rest of Bravo whilst pushing to the extract marker and didn't lose a man. It was clear that the AAF did their best to pursue us but ultimately they did not anticipate the Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan.

3:10 to Kavala
UAV Operator
This was good fun providing intel with a good overview over the battlefield, primarily focusing on finding armed striders. As it was first time being an UAV operator during a a FA session, I did not use it as best I could have. I have learned that I would have been wiser to retrieve the UAV and used it later in the mission for when the convoy actually arrived (would have helped everyone knowing the composition). It was great seeing that everyone survived the first phase of the mission! The newer layout for this mission was really fun.

Inter IV (Orino)
OPFOR (Defenders) - A1 - Rifleman
During the briefing phase, Head delivered us some inspiring music that gave us enough courage to bring us victory. Our fireteam secured the southern flank of the town, whilst Draakon (our UAV operator) scanned all the incoming flanks, it was apparent the attackers had sent at least two fireteams from the north. Though we held onto the south incase of a second attacking party. When it was clearer that no flanking attack would be made we headed to the North side of town to reinforce the rest of the team. During this time it was quite difficult identifying friend or foe, as we were reinforcing a formerly held position by A2 and their fate was fairly unknown to me. After sometime to the North and being on the front I unfortunately took several shots whilst attempting to throw a grenade, however I was still bleeding out a victory was declared.
Discipline yourself to do the things you love to do when you don't feel like doing them. - Edward James Olmos (Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica)

boberro

Post by boberro »

Inter IV (Gatolina), OPFOR (Attackers), BSL
I was volunteered into squad lead, but I tried to give my best (which I know is still not that much). I though we're not doing THAT bad, but then I realised I lost Bravo 1.
B1, what were you doing in the south-western approach? It wasn't that bad move, I myself believe we should have changed direction of approach as soon as we realised north is very open, but I only found out you're not with the rest of bravo when we were already under fire near the church.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

I forgot which Bravo I was in, but after a long, staring standoff with the enemies, they started shooting, so I peeled right, placed 2 guys on a hill and moved in with Mr-Link to clear a foothold, and then I died clearing the house :D
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Gekke Pop

Post by Gekke Pop »

First time playing arma 3 with FolkARPS and it was a lot of fun!

Inter IV (Gatolina):
I was one of the defenders and just camped inside a building the entire time. Then after a while of not seeing anything at all the enemy attacked our building. This resulted in a pretty long firefight. Luckily the firefight ended in our favour and thus we were victorious! And I even got a kill:
[imgur]http://imgur.com/XTriVst[/imgur]

OPFOR C2 RM:
Stayed back with the squad and after we misplaced a few bombs we ran for the beach/our lives. This mission was really laggy for me, I think due to all the AI/explosions.

3:10 to Kavala:
Was MAT with Fer. We got lost a few times, but we were there when it mattered. I made a video about the ambush we did on the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDtFwMNwAs

Here you can also see that when the AA starts firing and the building collapses, my FPS drops to like 1 fps. Anyone got any tips to prevent this or to improve my overall fps?

Well I really enjoyed playing and I plan on making this a regular thing for me and maybe even bring some friends along next time!
Last edited by Gekke Pop on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Gekke Pop wrote:Here you can also see that when the AA starts firing and the building collapes, my FPS drops to like 1 fps. Anyone got any tips to prevent this or to improve my overall fps?
Yeah, there's really no way around that. Tunguska murders squad, Tunguska murders FPS, Tunguska murders EVERYTHING.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

But there is a better way to shoot that boomstick at night. Try pressing N next time, it should go in a NVG mode.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Gekke Pop

Post by Gekke Pop »

Kefirz wrote:But there is a better way to shoot that boomstick at night. Try pressing N next time, it should go in a NVG mode.
Ahh, nice to know, still a bit noob!

I also recorded a bit from the very first mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCdPNcBM6w
(I think it's still processing, because I uploaded in a very high resolution and it only gives 360p as an option.)