[Tue] 08 July 2014 (Thrust or bust)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Tue] 08 July 2014 (Thrust or bust)

Post by audiox »

Tonight 26 guys showed up to throw an assortment of projectiles at one another and the AI.

We played the following.
  • Swept II
  • Thrusting Crusader
  • The Back Foot

Afterparty
  • Waging War ("Lets make up for the lack of deaths in Swept II-edition".)
  • Internecine
  • Kartz
  • Kartz@Night
First we got to enjoy the foggy chills of an updated A2 mission. Unfortunately we lacked the numbers to do it as an adversarial, but the coop version turned out to be a nice little warmup.
Then we spent some time on Stratis, where everything went swimmingly until a really nasty nasty chopper appeared. Who'd have guessed that the airfield had air assets, right?!
Next up was some nice and sneaky forested fun in The Back Foot!

The afterparty involved a hilariously deadly edition of Waging War, and a run-and-gun-run of Internecine.

Saw and heard a lot of good stuff tonight guys, so thanks a bundle. As always, post comments and video links below. Our guide to video making and branding is here : http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=659 and here : http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1205.

Our Youtube channel is here : https://www.youtube.com/user/folkarps , and we'd really like it if we could fill the "Confiscated Videos" list with the ones you all make and post. Letting us know where the videos are, so we can like and link to them, would be very nice of you. So nice, in fact, that you'll get a ticket for the next "get out of Gulag card" lottery if you do!

Aqarius
Host

Re: [Tue] 08 July 2014 (Thrust or bust)

Post by Aqarius »

Swept II
BLU A2 RAT
Coming down from painkillers, I rolled with Gaius, in an adv-turned-coop. We took the northern approach, and reached the boats with relatively little problem. I'd just like to note that the clouds outlining the trawler looked really nice.

Thrusting Crusader
BLU ASL
We lost 2 men to a recon team, and cleared almost the entire town untill the chopper came in. Then we tried to kill it until we both ran out of ammo and it crashed into the hill.

The Back Foot
BLU A1 FTL
I left my team in the woods and went scouting. Spotted the enemy blob advancing and turned in for a flank. the entire enemy force was pinned and decimated by a single fireteam :D. Then A1 died, a2 rolled in from behind, and the tables were quite thoroughly turned :( .

Afterparty
Waging War
BLU ASL
:shock:
I mean, It had to be bloody, but :shock:
[/allegedly]

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Hosts Comment :

Swept II
I was expecting our numbers to be larger at the start of the session, so this one had to be slightly altered. Knowing how toothless the AI ended up being, (partly due to Kefirz playing it pretty smart,) it would have made sense to slot a fireteam of "hunters" on OPFOR. As it was, it ended up being more of a warming up to the next mission. The firefight near the boats on the beach was nice.
Good plan, and structured comms throughout. The only slip-up was somebody running off in the boats before the order was given to leave the beach. Please don't do stuff like that.

Thrusting Crusader
Once again i tried out giving a person the possibility to pre-plan for our coop. I like this solution a lot, since it cuts down on you guys having to sit and wait, and gives us a CO with advance knowledge of the terrain he's going into. Also, this leaves more time for squad leader -> fireteam planning, which can be quite convenient.

One thing that is important with this though is that i don't want people to feel left out of the opportunity to get a coop CO slot. Thats why i broadcast it in Skype-chat in advance (albeit at odd times.... :? ). Some of you might not hang around in Skype, so if you want to be certain that you are informed of the opportunity to pre-plan just let me know that you are interested via a PM here on the forums.

Gaius did a good job, and from my rear-guard as MMG it seemed that people got quite a bit of tacticool stuff to do over the course of the mission, so i hope that turned out all right. I was a bit afraid that two two-fireteam squads would end up being too squishy, but that went surprisingly well.

The Back Foot
I really, really like this one. Its simple and beautiful. Any budding mission makers might be well advised to notice how much fun simplicity can be. A team on opposite sides of something thats pretty much a open field with some forests, nighttime, and guns. Thats all that's needed for lots of horrible, horrible experiences!

Due to me having a thing for Light loadouts you all ended up with NVGs. I don't think that impacted the mission for the worse.

Afterparty
Waging War
"I'll be honest, this is going to be bloody." :lol:
Once again the CO decides to go for the outpost, once again we all die horribly.

Internecine
Playing this mission as a race where both teams attempt to get inside the blue circle as soon as possible is a nice twist. That way the teams meet in the middle instead of one of them having to fight their way to the outskirts.

Ardyvee

Post by Ardyvee »

From what I heard, in Swept II we managed to sneak past most enemy AI and only had a small firefight at the beach. I'm not sure what to think of that.

In Thrusting Crusader, we did have a firefight. The high-point of the mission was being under fire from a helicopter without any AA to our name. Reports suggest that the pilot, after having spent all of his ammunition, fell asleep and crashed on a tree. Arma AI at it's finest.

The Back Foot was the mission during which... oh.. I'm not supposed to say that? Okay. Alright. As I was saying, I was sent, as sole member of A3 Bluford, to cover our eastern flank. Afterwards, I was tasked with the glorious mission of hiding inside the HQ building. After being missed by LMG fire (picture this: You're in the corner of a house and you see the bullets go through the wall you have to your right. None of them hit you, at least not worthy of mention), I failed to aim down the sights and kill the assaulting enemy. I dreamed of a comrade trying to GP the enemy just before I died. Sadly, it wasn't one of those happy dreams.

Afterparty: worthy of mention was that I learned, the hard way, how to do navigation using only the GPS. Recommendation: either you install some lights on your kart, get yourself some NVGs (or a flashlight) or you don't race in pitch black darkness. Unless, of course, you like the challenge or you like watching many karts blow up and light up the night (it was a pretty fire, to be honest).

head

Post by head »

P.S from my POV it looks like the engine cut out possible from my zafir fire. dunno

The clip is cut down because i was a boring medic for the 2/3 of it

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Swept II

BLUFOR CO

The plan was to break through the blocking force to the beach, it went alright and I was happy how ASL did his job. I made a slight alteration mid-mission, as to enter the AO from the north and face the enemy on one side, as opposed coming straight in, to avoid being shot from the south and the north.

When we got to the boats, we got fired upon, and at that time some people that got there faster, started driving off, which was not good and the extraction wasn't called yet.
The heroes of Alpha that stayed held out the beach as best they could, while we were waiting for a few elements to catch up.
Once alpha took more and more causalities I ordered them to extract and I waited for MMG to catch up. The MMG team were wounded, because they took fire from the west (I think) so I patched the gunner up, but he died later anyway.

Not long after that, the mission was called.

P.S Don't complain that there wasn't any action in that mission, the majority of alpha almost walked past a strider at first, and in the end there was quite a lot of shooting going on, but you probably were already on the boat at that time.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Lord Penney

Post by Lord Penney »

head wrote:
Did no one use the AA launcher? You can see that Gaius has it at the end of the video. Did you guys only realise you had the wrong one at the end?

head

Post by head »

Lord Penney wrote: Did no one use the AA launcher? You can see that Gaius has it at the end of the video. Did you guys only realize you had the wrong one at the end?

He picked it up then figured he drop it, i kept my compact and tried to wire-guide it to victory :)