[Sun] 18 Jan 2015 (Don't be a couch masturbator)

How we died (in the future)
Tigershark

[Sun] 18 Jan 2015 (Don't be a couch masturbator)

Post by Tigershark »

Missions:
  • Mail Man
  • 310 to Kavala
  • Cratesistance
  • Weekend Warriors
Great early turn out....slightly dropped off when we went ADV. Coincidence or....?

We had around 40 comrades tonight, which was very encouraging and close to the numbers we experience at the annual party orgy held at the dacha. Sometimes we even have women come to the orgy. Thanks each and every one of you for turning up, slotting super-smoothly, and being all-round awesome.

Mail Man needs tweaking. Please feel free to add your feedback in this thread.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

zitron

Re: [Sun] 18 Jan 2015 (Don't be a couch masturbator)

Post by zitron »

Gemoxy

Post by Gemoxy »

Hi all!

I've got the 3-10 to Kavala mission entirely uploaded in glorious 720p. If anyone wants to use any footage from it (most of it is kinda useless) then feel free!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... atqWtifoQO

boberro

Post by boberro »

Sometimes we even have women come to the orgy.
That might not be true. This was my dog, that I left near the dacha after Bodge "asked" me to carry some man-sized wooden boxes from the cellar.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Mail Man
|- CO

Heh.
So after being rudely thrown into the mission and having to deal with assigning troops to helos, repairing a helo through my magic host powers and making a plan at the same time, this mission was obviously doomed from the start.

What followed was a pretty good pin-point landing by our pilot and an almost immediate engagement for Alpha. I had initially planned to stay inside the helo but wasn't fast enough in switching seats and figured ordering them to land again wasn't the best of ideas... Anyway, both squads were pinned to cover almost immediately with the Engineers scrambling for the laptop. But even though we started the transfer fairly early, five minutes were too long for us to hold out and one we all died.

3-1-0 to Kavala
|- B3 FTL, then J2 FTL

Smooth approach to and into the town with a wonderful fire-team which unfortunately ended (for me) due to my own idiocy. Back as J2 FTL we set up and waited for the convoy which ended in one of the most beautiful infernos I've seen in ARMA3 (seriously, if you had NVGs on for that I pity you). We fell back and came under engagement from CSAT airborne reinforcements when as if through a miracle the gods called on us and the mission was declared a success.

Lynche

Post by Lynche »

As always, thanks to the party for allowing us to march to our deaths!

Mailman:
Is it just me or were the enemy much better shots than usual? I think I was hit and downed at least 4 times, which is not an ideal position for the medic to be in.
Even in my death throes, I still managed to call out enemy positions - maybe delaying the death of 1 or 2 people.

310 to Kavala:
Under the excellent leadership of Fer, we were bounding a lot of the way into the AO. We had a very lucky escape when a Strider parked up right beside the building we were in, luckily A2 (I think) managed to land a shot into it with their AT. Otherwise I expect we'd have been hiding there until the mission ended.
We cleared a few positions then set up on the hill looking down on the road. Using my NVGs, I was practically blinded by a streetlamp as the convoy approached; luckily the C4 on the road sorted that problem and I began merrily mowing down anyone who managed to survive the blasts.

Cratesistance:
As a part of B1 we took out our 1st cache with no significant resistance, before joining up with everyone in the valley. We were then sent up a hill to provide eyes on the surrounding area, however it seemed another fireteam had been given the same orders and they wiped us out. Luckily for us, they were a little careless and left me alive as they passed over me. It allowed me to call out their strength and direction of travel to the CO, allowing him to give alpha squad a much needed kick up the arse to hurry them out of danger long enough to destroy the 3rd and final cache.

Weekend Warriors:
If I could ask for more of any kind of mission, it'd be defensive ones. So, naturally, I loved this! After an evening of trudging toward the enemy, it was great to just hold up in a building and see just how much punishment we could take from the incoming forces. I cant wait to play this one again :D

fer

Post by fer »

Mail Man

Bravo SL: Fer
|- M: Lynche

Bravo was to set down next to the C-130 and occupuy higher ground to its north and south, but as we bailed out of the chopper I was told to concentrate my whole squad on the southern ridge. This made sense, as Alpha was taking up positions further north.

Although the southern ridge offered good, rocky cover, the fact that we were only two fireteams attempting to cover 270 degrees soon began to tell. Accurate enemy fire was pinning down my guys, and whilst we seemed to be winning the shooting match with aggressors to the south, another force from the east was cutting us down at a terrific rate. I myself was shot. Whilst bleeding out on the ground, I watched helplessly as a CSAT squad overran our position from the east.

Notes: Mail Man is a great mission, and a favourite from our Arma 2 era, but I suspect the increased skill of AI in Arma 3 makes it necessary to add some tweaks. Alpha and Bravo couldn't really support each other during that play-through, but even if we had been closer, I think some form of mortar support or light CAS might have been useful.

310 to Kavala

A2 FTL: Fer
|- AR: Lynche
|- AAR: Zensos
|- R: Eski

Comrade Lynche has pretty much covered this from the perspective of our firteam (we were A2, Lynch!). I absolutely love this mission, particularly the choice of terrain.

Weekend Warriors

CO: Fer
|- M: Eski

I loved this mission. Defence missions are hard to write because they require AI groups to move, which is more complex that putting down a few AI garrisons for the players to attack. Whilst there are some minor tweaks I would suggest, kudos to on_certainty for putting this together.

As CO, my plan was simple and in two phases:

Phase 1: Survive

Theory: Without knowing the direction of the attack (or if it would come from all sides simultaneously), my priority was to drawn the platoon together to that we could concentrate volume fire in any direction. Against AI, the obvious solution was to get everyone into the barracks, giving each squad clear instructions on which part of the buiding to occupy and fire sectors to cover. Alpha was given the north side of the building, Bravo the south. Just to provide a little optionality, MMG was pulled into the officer's quarters - my thinking was to set up some crossfire in the yard - but in hindsight all that did was pin the attachment in a space where it couldn't do much for the opening minutes.

Note: against humans, the barracks would have been a death trap if too densely occupied, as UGLs and hand grenades sent through windows are devastating.

Practice: We got all of Alpha and Bravo into the barracks, and whilst Bravo seemed to survive the initial waves, Alpha took a pounding. It would be interesting to know what factors applied at fireteam level - was it volume of enemy fire, were people standing too close to windows? I'd like to hear from SLs, FTLs and squad members on that. The net result was that after what felt like 10 minutes of very intense fire (rounds pinging off walls in the corridors), we'd experienced at least 50% casualties but held the building and dominated the yard.

Phase 2: Fix, move, eliminate

Theory: Once the enemy's initial assault seemed to slow and come from only 1-2 directions, it was no good just continuing to turtle. My plan was to split the survivors into two groups: one to continue to hold the barracks and act as a base of fire, and a second to slip out through and un-contested approach and manouver to find and hit the enemy in the flank.

Practice: We only had enough men to send out a fireteam, but they did exactly what I'd hoped - slipping out of the northern entrance, then circling around the complex to the west and hitting the remaining attackers in the flank.

On a personal note, my death at the end was completely foolish - I recovered a SAW and was engaging targets to the south from the upper-storey doorway of the barracks. Without weapons-resting my fire was ineffective, and I made matters worse by getting target-fixation and not ducking back into cover when the first enemy rounds began to land next to me. Idiocy!

Notes: I think providing a few fighting positions or bunkers around the perimeter of the complex might give the CO a few more options. With waves of enemies, it might even be fun to try splitting phase 1 of my plan into 'outer' and 'inner' sub-phases as our numbers drop.