[Sun] 15 Feb 2015 (All right boss-man, what's the sitch?)

How we died (in the future)
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 15 Feb 2015 (All right boss-man, what's the sitch?

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Waging War
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader
"Seize the checkpoint," I was told. And seize the checkpoint I did.

This task was easier said than done - protected by an IFV and a tucked-away HMG Strider, the checkpoint was a tough nut to crack, with little cover on the approach. Thankfully, the enemy had not garrisoned a commanding (if exposed) hilltop not 200 meters off. Coverless, but a superb offensive fighting position. It was planned that Alphas 2 and 3 would hold the perch, raining fire into the compound below while Alpha 1 used the lee of that same hill to close within 100m of the compound and commit a close assault.

It didn't quite work to plan, but we kicked off anyways - Bravo was too exposed as it was. An 8-man patrol had wandered up our flank not 30m away from Alpha 2, and their hands were full for the entire engagement blasting away at these contacts, far too close for comfort. Alphas 1 and 3, meanwhile, blew up the IFV guarding the outpost, but weren't able to get an angle on the HMG Strider before it sent a .50 caliber bullet through my noggin. To the FTLs' collective credit, the outpost was seized exactly as planned, though the convoy's enthusiastic (and explosive) reaction to this change of ownership kicked off Bravo's ambush earlier than they had expected.

The Rundown
Deployed as FIA A1 Autorifleman
This mission was very unfortunate. There I sat in the backseat, scanning my SAW around the horizon. We passed through a nice, built-up town and I abruptly had a seizure. The entire world went still as my eyes struggled to comprehend all these things whizzing past me at great velocity (I think my ophthalmologist calls them "buildings" and "textures" and "upgrade your damn PC all you want, you'll never run ArmA at full settings and you damn well know it!").

When I came to from my reverie, I was injured, lounging in the back of a crashed pick-up truck. I scrambled over the side, banging my ribs in the process while bullets whizzed by my ear. To my left, my FTL was sprawled on the ground, guts on the wrong side of his abdominal wall. My feet tripped over the corpse of my battle-buddy the AAR where he lay in the dirt with his head at an odd angle. I dove to the ground and desperately crawled under a nearby bush. "Hey, are you alive?" I heard Gekke Pop whisper into my radio. "Yeah," I responded. I turned back around to see an AAF fireteam swarming over the wreckage of the truck, woefully unaware of our continued existence. My Mk. 200 spoke for me, and mowed down their hapless FTL Jayjoe, but his comrades in oppression applied a 5.56mm jackboot to my head.

It was from the afterlife that I witnessed what my FIA Brothers fondly call "Altis Skeetshooting."

Edna
Deployed as Glorious Comrade CO
The Party provided me with a two squad platoon, and a third squad in reserve, complete with supporting IFVs. Turns out, the third squad spent the entire mission picking their nose as Alpha and Bravo essentially waltzed into both Edessa and the Church in a well-orchestrated, perfectly executed symphony of combined arms. The entire platoon climbed and cleared the central hill with the help of a two Marshall bronnegruppa. Bravo cleared the fields below them while Alpha assaulted the first of two secondary hills, then they flipped roles, with Alpha supporting Bravo's bound into the next rock-strewn hillock. All the while, two well-managed IFVs performed a deadly dance in the northern hills, dodging rockets left and right as they traded long-range gunfire and kept a lot of heat off of the squishies. In return, the squishies developed an endearing habit of obliterating any rocketeer in sight with extreme prejudice.

After a few minutes softening up Edessa and drowning enemy contacts in a hail of lead, Alpha charged Edessa under smoke cover, Bravo infiltrated into the reeds from which they performed a frontal assault of a thoroughly bullet-riddled church, and the IFVs came crashing down into the church from the hillsides to the north, both dinged up, but very much operational. Objectives: Complete. Losses: A few dudes from Alpha and a ton of magazines of 6.5mm. Reinforcements required: Zero.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Sparks wrote:Actually, what software are you using to capture the gameplay itself?
Shadowplay not being an option for us lowly 560Ti users :(
Open Broadcasting Software (OBS). It's free, has little impact on frame-rate and gets the job done.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Netkev wrote: The Rundown - Where we discover exactly how many helicopters A3 AR can shoot down in the course of 7 minutes. (Spoiler: 2)
:jihad:
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

I don't think I recollect enough to write a fancy and entertaining AAR like Comrade Carson, but I feel like writing a bit about my first ever FA session.

Waging War
I stumbled into the largest and most organised coop game I've ever played. I'm not even sure which squad I was in (either Alpha 2 or 3, from what I can tell by reading Carson's report, since we engaged the 8-man patrol, chased them down the hill and then were firing into a forest from an outpost). jayjoe was our FTL, and Milne and ...King (first part of the user name started with S i think, can't remember what it was). S King was AT, I was a rifleman.

I was basically just following my squad and jayjoe's instructions, and trying not to get killed. I do think I had to be revived once or twice. Jayjoe got shot near the outpost (not sure how, pretty confusing), S King was trying to fire at enemy armour from the outpost, and there was a forest nearby from which the enemy was returning fire. Alpha was basically pinned from what I could understand, but we managed to succeed after the enemy vehicle was destroyed.

I survived!

The Rundown
I was AR with FIA Aplha 3, under Zenzos. Were in the second (or third?) truck in the convoy, and managed to escape the AAF ambush that took our leading scout trucks. We reported the ambush but more appeared to follow through the same path.

Not long after we were chased by a light helicopter. I was riding with my back towards the driver's cabin/cockpit. Its gunners took out one of our teammates at the back (forgot name, sorry! I suspect it was S King again). Netkev and I managed to pump enough rounds into the chopper to bring it down (or we hit the pilot).

We had to stop for repairs, but were back on the road in a short while. I accidentally ended up in the passenger seat (Action menu FTW, amirite?), so we had to stop again so I could get to the back, this time more exposed in the outer seat (essentially ended up switching places with Netkev).

Eventually we were way ahead, lone scouts on the highway. Then a wild helicopter appeared. It chased, we got hit and had to bail. Zenzos took cover behind the truck, Netkev scampered towards the sole bush nearby, I was...simply confused. Ended up getting shot, and Netkev revived me as the helicopter circled in for another round. I hid in the bush, Netkev rushed to repair the truck, and in a few moments we were back on the road, being chased.

Eventually, the helicopter circled in front, and for some reason started hovering over a spot (at least, slowed down considerably). I'm no expert on strategy but I guess it's a really bad idea at such close range. I had a large target profile, so I could simply dump my AR's belt of bullets into the helicopter and crew. I won't lie, it was extremely satisfying and exciting. Wasn't even sure how to react. :D :jihad:

Mission ended in victory a short while later.

Edna
I was in Alpha 2 Alpha 1, most probably. Don't have much to add to what Ferrard Carson's written above, except that I completely suck at managing stamina. Was trailing behind as a result.

Took a random bullet during the charge. Caused looping animations and hurt sounds. I could move, but very slowly, despite first aid and medical assistance.

Random AI dude walked right it front of me when we were taking the town hall, killed him. Our FTL and another guy died during the assault, so Milne (I think?) and I were left. I couldn't move much because of the glitch, so I was just walking behind - probably why I survived.

-------
It was a lot of fun. Thanks guys! :dance:
Last edited by SuicideKing on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Milne

Post by Milne »

Yeah it was just me and you SuicideKing at the end, luckily on Edna when I accidentally ran in a building by myself I killed the guy that almost got me, so it was almost just you SuicideKing at the end.