[Sun] 01 Mar 2015 (Dismount Days)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Sun] 01 Mar 2015 (Dismount Days)

Post by audiox »

Thanks to the brave 40 comrades that came along.
After-party If you'd like to help our mission makers, just click the links above and leave some thoughts about the missions there!

Please tell us your stories, show us your videos and photos, and all of that jazz below.

For those that wonder, the server is now fully operational for another year, which is all kinds of awesome. Thanks to everybody for that. :dance:

Nation

Re: [Sun] 1 Mar 2015 (Dismount Days)

Post by Nation »

First time attending Folk Arps great fun had no idea where i was beging shot from multple times 10/10 would drive a medical truck and be shot up by a 50 cal again

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

Had a great run as alpha medic in bees and as the driver of the terribly tempetuous troublesome technical in Altian healthcare.

Why the amazingly annoying aggravating alliteration? Well I hopped out at one point for a breath of fresh air and could not get back in whilst my gunner was in. Adopting a countdown method where we both did the action at the same time was the only thing that (occasionally) worked. Eventually I drove off by myself to ultimately run out of ammo and explode as my hapless gunner jogged alongside. Sadly he was cut down by enemy fire and all nearby had no FAKs left. He bled to death on the side of the road just as the medic arrived. RIP Kerfiz.

Ultimately our deaths were in vain, as although our men managed to reach the medical truck and begin driving to safety, they were cut down by .50 cals and AI. Such is the tragedy of war.

Anyway, it was my second session with you guys and I had great fun! I hope for more exciting adventures in the future.
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

I guess the name says it all.... :hist101:

Reppyboyo

Re: [Sun] 01 Mar 2015 (Dismount Days)

Post by Reppyboyo »

Usual highlight sort of stuff.
Rather enjoyed this session, especially Quarry and Altian Healthcare.

fer

Post by fer »

Low Tide

CO - Fer
|- UAV: wolfenswan

With A3, I am less and less inclined to rely too much on the map for detailed planning, and more enthusiastic than ever about issuing movement orders only after I've seen the terrain first-hand (or through some binoculars). However, from the map and briefing a few things seemed clear to me:

1. The town was not a priority. It wasn't an objective, it was overlooked by bunkers, and even if AI were really only on the outskirts (bear in mind that wolfenswan is a sadist), that still meant FIBUA. And we're not good at that.

2. The valley was overlooked on at least two sides: to the front was the complex of bunkers around the enemy base (definite enemy presence), and to our left was a ridge (where I would be if I was the enemy).

Looking more closely at the ridge to our left (south), I could see plenty of gulleys running perpendicular to it. Very promising terrain for moving two squads in bounding overwatch. Moreover, there was only one strongpoint between the start of the ridge and the enemy base, and the high ground would give us the advantage over anything lurking in the valley below. I ordered Alpha and Bravo to move along the beach until they reached the start of the ridge, then climb (eventually) to positions either side of the road.

Fortuitously, I also had an understrength Charlie, which was positioned much closer to the ridge. I decided to use this element as my recce force, and ordered them to mount the ridge and skirmish some 100m ahead of the rest of the platoon. Kudos to comrade CSL Kefirz for getting this role right until his death towards the latter third of the mission - it's important for recce elements not to rambo it up, and Charlie was good in this regard.

ASL Gemoxy and BSL Big Boss eventually got their squads into position on the right and left-hand sides of the road respectively, with the UGV - our remote controlled tanketto - in the middle. Methodically, and with few losses, Charlie went ahead and found contacts, whilst Alpha and Bravo moved in bounds just behind and cleared the ridge. Alpha had a secondary role combatting contacts from the valley, whilst earlier on Bravo had despatched an enemy patrol that approached us from behind on the ridge. The UGV was excellent at taking out HMGs in the enemy bunkers, whilst the UAV destroyed several enemy vehicles before it was shot down during a loiter phase.

As we neared the strongpoint near the enemy base (marked mid-mission as 'ATGM'), Alpha and Bravo switched sides, with Alpha taking up some high ground to act as BoF for Bravo's assault. Charlie was already moving north of us, doing recce for the next assault - which would be on the base itself.

Just at this momement, the enemy counter-attacked with 2 x IFVs. Our UAV had crashed, although the first IFV was destroyed quickly, Alpha was soon out of rockets and had to withdraw to the reverse slope whilst Bravo came up and dealt with the second. Hurriedly, we resumed the original attack plan and Bravo took the strongpoint with cover from Alpha.

This was not a moment too soon, as an enemy MBT appeared and took up position close to Bravo. With Alpha out of RPGs it was left to Bravo to save itself, and two rockets would slam into the MBT before its crew bailed out and were cut down. During this time, however, Charlie had lost its leader.

Mindful of the Party's desire for quick victories, I now switched to Korean War Chinese Army Simulator mode, and attempted to organise my squads for a massed-rank assault uphill to the enemy base. Alpha moved to the wrecked enemy MBT and all FTLs were order to smoke the enemy position.

I died near the MBT, having gone forward with my UGL to smoke the enemy base and lob HE rounds at suspected enemy fighting positions. However, I am pleased to report that the base was taken by the remains of the platoon. Casualties were acceptablly high. Thanks to comrades Gemoxy, BigBoss and Kefirz for SLing, and to Wolfenswan for some slick UGV/UAV operation.

This was a great mission, although in hindsight I suspect my plan probably went to the bounds of the 'spirit of the mission' by not moving us through the valley. As cool as the UGV and UAV were, I would have gladly swapped them for MAT and MMG elements - and given the amount of enemy vehicles I was not a fan of the lack of RATs. Maybe the mission doesn't really need so many IFVs and an MBT - perhaps the 'Hamburger Hill' style fight up a heavily fortified hill is really engaging all by itself?

Oh yes, mortars. An MTR attachment would have been awesome.

:v:

Eggman202

Post by Eggman202 »

So, my second outing with the folks of Folk ARPS.

LOW TIDE
I was the AR for one of the undermanned Charlie Fireteams. We were assigned to the role of Scouting, and things got off to a great start when our fireteam leader de-synced. Luckily, waiting on a hill for our big UGV robot dog to turn up gave him time to catch up, and we proceeded to scout with the rest of charlie squad. We spent some time (and many AR rounds) shooting at a 'prone' soldier who we'd already killed a minute prior, before taking cover in some nice, solid houses. Then an IFV turned up so we hid in a house, and about a third of Charlie died. This was good, as it finally brought our fireteam up to full strength. We even picked up Link, the Charlie medic, who proceeded to heal us more times than I can count. Seriously, give the man a medal.
Proceeding along with a team of five (Two AR gunners, a medic, a rifleman/grenadier and our glorious fireteam-turned-squad leader) we killed some IFV troops. We then found the IFV weapons offline and a large haul of missiles but no launchers. And a Tank. A Big, Scary Tank that downed two of us. Then Link got us back up. Then we went down again. Then we got back up again (To reiterate, that medic deserves a medal) and hid behind some rocks until the tank left us alone and blew up. Finally, we lead a flanking assault into the main stronghold, where I got to open a door.

BEES
Bravo Squad: Overwatch Hill. Great helicopter ride, epic looking landing with several transports trying to land on the same patch of grass. Get out, form up, kneel down and wait for the squad. Wait for the squad some more. See that a helicopter has frozen about 10m off the ground. Weird. See a trooper mid-stride stood there. Also weird. Then my fan goes ballistic and my computer crashes to Blue Screen of Death. Yay?

All in all, a fairly successful night. Thanks to you all for a fun time, I'll probably be making Sunday Arma a thing. So I should be around for quite a few from now on.

Link

Post by Link »

Here's the view from charlie squads medic on low tide.

My mod installer thingy - Check it out!