Post by fer »

Missions:
  • IndFor Don't Surf
  • The 3-way
  • Jolly Blue
  • Cloudline
  • Raidolo (after-party)
  • Weekend Warriors (after-party)
It was a bijoux Sunday session, with just 26 comrades tonight - but then again, it was Mother's Day, and it might just be possible that some comrades love their mothers more than the Party. I know, right? We'll have the mothers arrested and sent to a far away friendship centre.

Things started out with the excellent adversarial, IndFor Don't Surf, to which had been added some pink fog (possibly in honour of Mother's Day). Technically, OPFOR won the day with some neat flanking, but the AI AAF defenders did pretty well themselves. Next, The 3-way saw both sides fail utterly to find the officer, even though he was in the most central house in the village, that everyone had surrounded for minutes. That was, of course, until the very end, when both CSAT and NATO managed to shoot (but not kill) the officer. Disgraceful. Anyway, we then entrusted the majority of the platoon into the hands of comrade Kefirz, who was supposed to keep them all safe for a while until the transport helicopters arrived. By the end of this run through of Jolly Blue, just two of Kefirz's charges had made it out in Dabbo's Huron; everyone else was dead, including the CO. We're not going to talk about the sadism of comrade Zeus-operators NetKev and Nation. Finally, we charged uphill to glory in Cloudline, which we actually managed to win, despite a veteran host empting full magazines into the faces of two friendlies. At point blank range.

:oops:

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Sparks

Re: [Sun] 15 Mar 2015 (Mothers don't surf)

Post by Sparks »

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that NetKev's unique approach to tactical driving in cloudline was not mentioned.
I have, however, got it recorded :D I'll get the highlights up later, but for now...

It was at this moment that the enemy knew they were outgunned

I am equally shocked that when pressed into leading an afterparty mission, I not only survived, despite taking the more dangerous "Please shoot at us" role and bravely getting lost and then cowering behind a large truck, but that through the excellent police work of Fer and our comrades, all the suspects were successfully detained and arrested for crimes against the people in an outstanding victory.
Tragically, several of the suspects committed suicide several times rather than stand trial before the people of Folk. Truly their depravity knew no bounds.
Attachments
netdevTacticalDriving.png
netdevTacticalDriving.png (136.1 KiB) Viewed 9653 times
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

NetKev's road rage was fucking fabulous. :D

I also discovered that I'm still not fit for FTL (shocker, I know). Far too disoriented. I wonder if I should keep VON always on, but then I'll have to keep switching channels. Hmmm.

And, I think it should be party policy to deploy smoke before rushing to revive someone while under fire. Ideally I think there should be some sort of policy, like wait for the shooting to stop. :lol:

We should probably do some (more) workshops on it, far too many people (myself included) seem to get shot while going to heal someone.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Joined in at the usual toddler-friendly point of half eight, missing IndFor Don't Surf (awww, I enjoyed that one last time) and The 3-way (there's a joke in there somewhere, I'm sure). I spent a few hours over the last week poking at my video settings for Arma3 to try to get a decent FPS out of them and I can in fact now get 70FPS when pootling about on Stratis in the editor in an MH9 (I really do love that the most fun you have in this military simulator is often absolute sod all to do with shooting things, it's the unexpected kind of happy realisation). Even in the timed helicopter challanges I can stay above 30FPS (and the Altis benchmark holds firm around 40FPS).

And then I go on a FolkARPS session and I'm walloped back down to 12-15fps. /sigh
And VON still hates me. But anyway...

Jolly Blue

Really enjoyed this one. And while it did end in a near-massacre, we did win, so yay. We headed south on landing, me grumbling all the way about VON (VOFF more like), but before getting to a recognisable landmark we made contact with a truck full of soldiers. I had a half decent position on the truck and a rocket launcher. Ah-ha! thought I, Here's my Hero-of-Folk medal right now!, lined up my RPG on the truck and hit fire... and then realised the launcher was unloaded and I wasn't carrying any rockets. Oh bother. Bullets would have to suffice, but by that point everyone else had already taken care of things. As Alpha 1 moved up to ensure there wasn't some sneaky AI hiding under the truck, I ran further southeast to try to catch up to my fireteam, having been caught on the wrong side of the road from by the contact. But before I could meet up with them, the first truck's friends showed up and they were not happy. I wound up engaging two from the ridgeline and coming off a bit more perforated than I wanted, so I bravely ran away to hide and heal. By this time, my FTL was down and bleeding out on the ridge higher up to my east, and pretty soon another from my squad was in the same situation, so I gamely charged up the hill just in time for both of them to bleed out before I found them. But I managed to locate a landmark - some radio towers, and happily called in the details to the incoming helo, just as I noticed I could see it from where I was. Comms were busily hating me, so I tried signalling with red tracer, very cleverly letting the Bad Men know where I was and then I was down and bleeding out as well.
/sigh
JollyBlueMap.jpg
JollyBlueMap.jpg (202.13 KiB) Viewed 9626 times
But two of our number made it out in the end. So that was good. I would love to have seen Noose's face when after a long run he got to the helo, only to find that inside, it was playing the master caution warning tone and all the dashboard lights were flashing :D

Cloudline

It's cheering that even the mission description is explicit - this is a desperate mountaintop assault, survival and success are not expected, which takes a lot of the pressure off. I wound up in Juliet 1, who were tasked with the assault from the moonlit end of the base, and after a momentary whiskey tango foxtrot before the teleport kicked in when I thought that someone had set the fog level to "solid rock", we headed up towards our demise. A patrol walked right in front of our cover, which proved to be a poor life choice for them, and then were were grenading and shooting with abandon. We pushed into the compound, my FTL told me to charge the door of the barracks and I did so, and of course was cut down before I was even halfway there. But it was a heroic death...

Oh, and Netdev's tactical driving. Gosh-darn. Never, ever, let that man drive a bus for a living.

Raidolo (after-party)

I had a minor toddler-related distraction during slotting only to find I was after being assigned to be in overall command because I hadn't stepped back fast enough when volunteers were called for. Sod. Okay, so quick plan - one distraction element (that'll be me because of low FPS and general ineptitude), and one arresting element (that'll be Fey because he'd just proven he was very good at shooting people in CQB). Fey headed north, I headed south, then I got lost and threw all my chemlights at the wrong building and distracted nobody, so my element pretty much carried out the plan solo, thus showing the true value of command. When I finally got into position I was able to distract one person long enough for my remaining squadmate to shoot him, and by that point Fey's element had successfully arrested all the Bad Men. Who committed suicide, the terrorists!

Weekend Warriors (after-party)

A nice simple plan, after we de-Americanised it. From my point of view, it mainly consisted of hiding in a corridor in a blind panic at being flanked and shooting at anything that moved and a few things that didn't. And one thing that twitched. Stupid dead bodies. In the end, an AI came in through a window and distracted me by being a target for long enough that his friend outside managed to shoot me in the head. Oh well.

A fun night and for once it didn't feel like I was completely incompetent. Only about 85% incompetent really. Thanks everyone!

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I also discovered that I'm still not fit for FTL (shocker, I know). Far too disoriented. I wonder if I should keep VON always on, but then I'll have to keep switching channels. Hmmm.
I never need another VON besides group VON, so I just have a thumb button on my mouse bound to it. As for switching channels for markers: That will thankfully change with the next ARMA3 patch as you'll be able to select the "scope" of the marker from a drop-down menu when placing it.

fer

Post by fer »

Who's Fey? :colbert:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

fer wrote:Who's Fey? :colbert:
He's a more dapper version of fer.
I mean, Fey leads teams of police and successfully captures whole teams of terrorists.
Fer on the other hand, shoots two of his own teammates in the face on full auto with a full magazine.

:P

fer

Post by fer »

Fey has been grabbed off the streets by people we can only assume to be members of the Party Security apparatus. Seasoned FA watchers expect to add Fey's name to a list of 'the disappeared'.

Fer, on the other hand, is continuing to enjoy his visit to the Kremlin, where he is the guest of Vladimir Putin, a visionary leader and champion of the people's rights to be ruled by Russia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

fer wrote:...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:laugh:
[/allegedly]

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Alas poor Fey, we barely knew ye... :suicide: