[Tue] 17 Mar 2015 (Why, Bohemia Interactive?)

How we died (in the future)
Freyja
Host

[Tue] 17 Mar 2015 (Why, Bohemia Interactive?)

Post by Freyja »

I would like to very much thank the 16 heroic friends that joined me in this most peculiar trek through the Altian high/low/midlands.

Playlist:
  • Roomservice
  • Mailman
  • Yielding Sabre
  • Miscommunication
  • Garage
  • A Box in a Box
Our journey, though marred in strangeness and inexplicable problems, took us many-a place of discovery and murder. Special shout-out to the brave NPC pilots in Yielding Sabre that felt that landing was optional.

Sparks

Re: [Tue] 17 Mar 2015 (Why, Bohemia Interactive?)

Post by Sparks »

So, two quick things -

1) Ninja Demon, I am soooo sorry. I didn't know anyone was clearing ahead of us and you scared the bullets out of me :?

2) I have a video branding question that begs to be asked... given the day that's in it and all, can we use a slightly different title card?
20150317a.png
20150317a.png (224.77 KiB) Viewed 9726 times
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

How on earth was the attack helo in Box in A Box shot down? :shock:

leethal_

Post by leethal_ »

So as you guys may have heard, tonight was my first time playing with the Folk ARPS group. As the newest member, I got my fair share of funny looks...
...but I learned that Folk ARPS is all about tactical awareness...
...navigational excellence...
...a commitment to achievement...
...depth and penetration...
...never running away from a fight...
...and never leaving a man behind.

But in all seriousness, I had a great time playing with you guys, even when the so-called perfect plan isn't actually so. You've given me a reason to play that copy of Arma that's been sitting unused since the Alpha. Hope to see you all again on Sunday!

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Right, well, this one was a complete, unmitigated disaster. Just like the old times 8-)
It would seem BI screwed with enemy detection, causing the many strange and often painful malfunctions yesterday. I suggest laying off script heavy coops until they're done lobotomizing the Ai.
[/allegedly]

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

It would seem BI screwed with enemy detection, causing the many strange and often painful malfunctions yesterday. I suggest laying off script heavy coops until they're done lobotomizing the Ai.
Quite the opposite, all it took was more scripts to fix the situation :science101:

It's not fair to put the blame on BI, technically the insertion was exploiting a weakness in the AI that BI has now fixed. It's easy to work around it (disabling AI targeting for the helicopter pilots or just use ws_fnc_taskLand) and I should get a fixed version up soon.
But in all seriousness, I had a great time playing with you guys, even when the so-called perfect plan isn't actually so. You've given me a reason to play that copy of Arma that's been sitting unused since the Alpha. Hope to see you all again on Sunday!
Glad to hear that Leethal and sorry for not being a proper FTL in Miscommunications. Was a bit absent-minded, trying to get hold of the pilots responsible for the snafu before :D

leethal_

Post by leethal_ »

No worries everyone. I spent the last five hours playing around in Zeus and the mission editor for the first time and I have a lot more respect for the missions you all have made, even if the scripts are wonky. I haven't even figured out how to make people get in a helicopter yet, let alone fly it.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

In a very odd development I was there at the start of this session (due to St.Patricks day being a public holiday in Ireland). Happily, this worked perfectly and nothing at all went wrong.

Oh, and HOLY COMMUNICATIONS BATMAN, MY VON WAS WORKING!

Roomservice

A nice quick adversarial to get started, with a nice quick plan too. I feel I should point out that within the party, there is no theft, because we are strong believers in communal property. And communal ammunition. In that spirit, I traded my submachinegun for an assault rifle under orders from my FTL with the intention of acting as the guy who gets to stay alive and in cover outside while people charged into the hotel to get shot base of fire for the advancing fireteam.

This plan did not go fully to plan, since somehow the enemy saw us coming and we were under fire from the moment we got out of the Ifrit. I managed to flank one through blind panic and confusion and running in fear tactics and situational awareness, but sadly the muzzle flash from his dispatching illuminated me long enough for someone else to wound me critically and then later dispatch my wounded avatar at their leisure.

The mission seemed to be going well after that for the police, but then at the last, our final three were outflanked by a mafioso who had his SMG set to "head shots only". Boo-urns.

Mailman

Initially, this was set to be a straightforward run - insert by helo to the south of the C130 crash site, secure overwatch, shoot the Bad Men while our engineers prove that engineers are the universe's answer to "what would be the most awesome thing a human could be?", and then we all go home. Easy as pie.

As I said in-game, the helo flying in Arma is just utterly gorgeous, but it needs more music. Preferably of the vietnam war era variety. Perfectly suited to the door gunner's view.

Unfortunately, half-way to the LZ, Zeus discovered that things behind the scenes were awry, so much so that we couldn't continue. So we restarted. Same plan, same bat-channel. Back to the helo, liftoff, gorgeous view, no music. Sad, I grumbled in VON. And then Aquarius The Magnificent won the Folk DJing Medal for finding and playing Fortunate Son over VON perfectly timed to cut out just as we hit the LZ. After that perfection, I could happily have landed on an Tigris and wrapped the mission there to be honest.

But, Zeus was not that cunning and so we headed north to the crash site, pausing to terrify me with a Strider I couldn't see or point my AT at, and to shoot up some infantry I could see, and then when we got to the hill overlooking the crash site, we got engaged from the rear (Ooooh Matron) by soldiers well outside my view distance. Pinned behind a rock (or in one depending on your preferences), my FTL popped smoke to cover our scramble over the rocks and now we were on the summit overlooking the crash site and pretty soon were being engaged from both north and south by at least a fireteam or two on either side. I tried bullets to the north and a rocket to the south. Up north they dodged, down south they dodged and then shot me. Aquarius got me up and moving again but while I was trying to snipe back at the rude sods, they got lucky and our DJ was toast. We pulled back over the ridgeline to the north after I'd stolen all of Aquarius' stuff (sadly his 70's CD collection had taken a round as well) and continued to plink away at people until the engineers finished up and our extract helo arrived. After a tense wait for everyone to get onboard, we lifted off and I started hosing down anywhere I could see that might have had an enemy in there, and we cheesed it.

There was an odd moment as we returned to base when an MH9 came over to take a look and we shot at it, and then we had won. It was an odd sensation... well mitigated by the game statistics showing I managed not to hit anyone at all during the entire mission.
/sigh

Yielding Sabre

This looked like it would be interesting, in the traditional Folk way. The plan was to land, advance using stealth neutralising any enemy we found silently until we got to overwatch, then to advance through two minefields to the objective.

I sortof thought that that last bit might have an effect on our stealthiness because it's hard to explode and be thrown twenty feet into the air quietly, but I am but a lowly cog, so on we go.

And on.

And on.

And on.

And by about this point we realised that the LZ was behind us and the AI pilot had decided that he didn't like the plan either and was taking the helicopter to Cuba. Many of the Folk felt this was a fine field trip and worth investigating for the cigars alone, but apparently this was Mission End Scenario #5.

Personally, I was surprised that we only had to go through four scenarios before we got to "insane AI makes a break for Cuba with the players in tow", but I guess that's scripting for you. We set up and tried again.

This time, the AI pilot did not make a break for Cuba with us in tow.
This time, he made sure to eject all of us below minimum safe parachuting altitude first...

Miscommunication

After our experiences with the AI at this point, we fell back to just shooting each other, it seemed less error-prone. And so we reenacted Top Gear vs The BBC. Only with more cars.

Planning, it was decided, was for capitalist bourgeois lackeys and we opted for a straight charge at the enemy. My FTL wisely opted to charge just a little to one side of the enemy just in case and we managed to meet them mid-way. While trying to get a line on a building my FTL wanted AT'd, I snuck a bit more to the left and surprised an enemy trying to do the same thing. I surprised him more. I then bandaged up, AT'd the building my new FTL wanted hit, rejoined him to lament our old FTL's bullet catching episode, and try to figure out what to do next. The enemy solved this conundrum by attacking; we attacked back. And better. A little flanking later and I had no targets and no FTL. So I bravely ran for cover. Without anyone in my fireteam left (woo-hoo! promotion!) I cried for help established tactical communications with the remaining member of my squad, who by blind chance was in the building I'd run into was in a well-chosen strategic location, which we proceeded to defend from the final OPFOR member who made a poor life choice by throwing grenades outside and himself inside which would have worked well if I hadn't had my gun pointed at the door at the time. And that was victory.

And I recorded it so nya nya na nya nah.
Though I did manage to forget to check the stats at the end, so I have no idea how many I actually hit.

Garage

Ah, a covert mission! Perfect for the folk! And with a fool-proof perfect plan that could only go wrong if someone tried to get out of the truck and was seen by the enemy with the machine guns and rockets at the checkpoint.

I still don't know who tried to get out of the truck...

/sigh

A Box in a Box

Our final mission of the night, a convoy ambush. A simple 16-point plan. What could go wrong?

Our FTL led us across a field of fire to the side of the road we were assigned to clear, and we proceeded to clear buildings, wiping out enemies with grenades and guns as we went. It all went fine until the penultimate building, when our FTL was surprised by an enemy as the rest of the team cleared the house next door. Costno avenged Audiox and then we linked up with Netkev's fireteam and charged across the road to the last building... which Ninja had just cleared but I didn't know they were ahead of us and missed the tags in the confusion and... well, sorry Ninja :oops:

:siiigh:

After that we set up for the convoy, sank a few PCMLs into it (I think I might even have hit something this time) and then we realised that they were rather miffed by this and then things started to explode so we got the order to bravely run away. Our fireteam got split up, Costno and I rejoined and legged it, then I got split up from Costno, but he found the fireteam, seconds before everyone was hosed by an accurate 30mm cannon strike from the gunship hovering overhead. Before I could miss it with my last PCML and draw fire, it suffered a catastrophic engine failure and crashed. Maintenance, comrades, because equipment failure is the enemy's best weapon!

After that, Netkev and I got in a car as the last surviving squad members and after a scenic drive around Altis, headed for the beach, and once we were clear of all the angry, angry soldiers and could almost smell the ozone (which in my case was possibly my graphics card overheating), called it a victory.

And that was that. A fun night, possibly more banter-y than normal, but that was the day that was in it, as they say.

And on that note, a slightly different FolkARPS video branding for this session :D

(Oh, and if you're in Germany, sorry, you can't watch it. Aquarius gets his Folk DJ Medal, but sadly Youtube feels this contravenes copyrights and so our German Volk miss out :( )

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Oh, and if you're in Germany, sorry, you can't watch it.
We have our means, Comrade.
German Volk
You probably want to use "Leute" here, unless FA has recently annexed Germany.

Hm. I should take a mental note of that.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:
German Volk
You probably want to use "Leute" here
I guess technically that's true, but the Folk/Volk assonance was too much fun to pass up, especially since it's das deutsche Volk rather than das deutsche Leute (and that has now completely exhausted all my German).
unless FA has recently annexed Germany
Comrade, we don't annex nations. Their people, yearning for a better way of life, simply choose to recognise themselves as part of the Party. Annexation is a violent aggressive act, reserved strictly for the capitalist pig-dogs of the decadent west!