[Sun] 26 Apr 2015 (Death from a fog)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Hold the line
  • Gator Raid
  • Crateresistance
  • Salt Riders (after-party)
  • Race Thunder XL (after-party)
42 comrades appeared tonight, which made for two excellent large-scale co-op missions and then a wonderfully tense play-through of Crateresistance. The Party thanks everyone who came along, and extends a special welcome to the new faces from 1Tac.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Finally, some recommended reading for all comrades, new and old:
:v:

Mike [MDS]

Re: [Sun] 26 Apr 2015 (Death from a fog)

Post by Mike [MDS] »

1: Peered into the mist. Followed Bigboss down a hill. Jayjoe died. Followed Bigboss back up the hill. Was killed by AI.

Happily, I got to respawn in Ferrard’s boat. Ran around town in the confusion seeing mostly friendlies and the occasional passing helicopter until Ferrard and I went to rescue Sparks. We crested the hill only to see his position marker flailing around in the middle of the sea. “Oh.” said Ferrard. Then someone shot me.

-----------------------------------------------
2: Was in Alpha 1 who stormed the first little farm from the west. SuperU got killed, a truck exploded somehow, then I looked around a corner and instantly blew up. Still don’t know what exploded or from whom it came :( I then hung around as a ghost watching my body get repeatedly looted :P

Was amazed to spectate BormaneV, last man from our team, survive all the way up to the Hill Of Death.

3: The fun one (for me) :)

I was the AR guy on Dabbo’s A2 team who were the south-western ‘centre’ between the northern and southern flanks.

Imnotdannyboy giving me a meaningful look in our truck on the way to the rocky overlook

Saw A1 (our northern flank) exchanging fire with what looked to me like bushes in the dip west of the big tower, so I chucked some suppressive fire in there but I don’t know whether I hit anyone.

Teamed up with gqren (“Kren” apparently) who kindly spotted for me :) suppressed the tallest tower, but still don’t know whether I got anyone. If you were in there and experienced a steady drip-drip of bullets at the windows, that was me :P We dropped someone on the south side of the roof but we weren't sure whether I killed them or just scared them off!

Most of my game was spent peering at the big tower and waiting for a spotter to tell me when someone stuck their head out ;)

Then gqren and I moved up to the white house on the ridge. We took a roundabout route to put the house between us and the base, which was a good idea because someone in the tower spotted me and I had to throw myself to the floor behind the roof!

Someone firing from the south side of the base towards the left side of the white house winged me and took gqren down, but I managed to save him :)

Cars: Jumped out after our driver died/crashed and was shot in the face

Carts: Turns out nitro can flip you :P

That was fun, look forward to coming back :D

Mike [MDS]

Post by Mike [MDS] »

Oh - I never once heard or saw the UAV and we pretty much forgot it existed.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Hold the line: MAT Gunner (AKA tip of the spear):
[/allegedly]

Niwakosan

Post by Niwakosan »

As this was my first time playing like this I had a great time and lots of fun

1. I teamed up with my friend and snipper and someone else aswell, when I spawned in i just saw lots of fog and when I finally deployed my lmg on a fence I realised I had a 2x scope and it was so foggy I could barely see 100 m infront of me. We pushed into the town and eliminated the hostels and dug in waiting for a counter - offencive. when it finally happend all of Charlie just fell apart and when I finally realised I was the only one left alive I got in a panic mode and started running towards the nearest squad. but when I exited the shot apart building i was in i was greeted by a APC barrel straight towards my face. I just managed to run away from it and then it was mission completed.

loads of fun and excitement. will do it again for shure

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

I haven't been able to play in so long :(

Still fun to read AARs and watch videos.

Hopefully should be able to join on Tuesday!
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Tonight got off to a particularly rocky start for myself (and SuperU and wolfenswan as well) when I not only got to the PC five minutes late, but Arma decided that it wasn't going to let us join the Folk server. It'd tell us we were connecting and then hang there. Eventually after three or four restarts we got in but by then the first mission was underway... ah, but there were reinforcements in the mission plan...
(hey, that's a pretty good idea for a start-of-the-session mission...)

And while waiting on the reinforcements, I got to watch Gemoxy's twitch stream of the mission and got to cry into my metaphorical beer about how I was getting more resolution, more image quality and more FPS on my nook tablet running Gemoxy's twitch feed than I was getting on my main machine actually playing the game...

Hold the line
RAT for Juliet 1 with Ferrard (FTL), Head (AR) and Mike (AAR)

Fantastic, thought I, after all that nonsense getting into the server, I still get to play in the first mission! This evening's going to be fun!.

And then, just as we landed, Arma said Psych! and teleported me 150m offshore and laughed in my face.
Harumph. Fine. Stupid Arma. I let my FTL know what was going on and started swimming.
A few minutes later, I learnt that swimming as the RAT is hard because you're carrying all that kit, and it tries to drown you. And you can't take stamina breaks because the weight of the gear requires you to swim to keep from drowning. So I was getting into difficulties with 100m of water yet to go and starting to get worried. And then I was saved! That noise, it's a Juliet squad RHIB! They'll pick me up and I'll be right in the figh.... guys? Guys, I'm over here. Where are you going...
You sods!
Feck. Back to swimming. VERY SLOWLY. Dammit.

And then about ten minutes after that, Hurrah! Juliet 3 drove right up beside me, literally 1 meter away...
...and then drove on. And hit the beach.
:argh:

Finally, Head got in a RHIB, and headed out to pick up my drowning ass. Hooray!
...and as I got into the boat we were lit up by something with a gmg and blown into small chunks that slowly settled on the seabed.

:psypop:

I hate this game sometimes...

Gator Raid
AR for Charlie 1 with Eagle_Eye (FTL), Dobbo (AAR) and gqwen (RAT)

Very aggressive plan by our CO for this mission (We ain't got time to flank, we're charging straight at 'em!) - though to be fair, it seemed to work.

We also noted that certain new OPs appear to have been built by the enemy after our last near-success in this mission. The sneaky sods!

We headed off towards our waypoint for our initial assault right off the get-go, no hanging about here, only pausing for the briefest of FPS-waggling (yeah, yeah, yeah, just you wait until my new CPU and SSD get here this week lads, I'll be up to 20fps by next Sunday, just you wait and see!). Our first close assault went surprisingly well, even at 2fps, but we lost gqren during it (Charlie squad's sole casualty). After regrouping, we spotted enemies on the OP to our north-west so the AR elements laid down a base of fire while the remainder of Charlie 1 assaulted, losing Eagle_eye in the process. Dobbo limped back home, several enemy ears now dangling from his PLCE which we felt we shouldn't mention, and we marched onwards towards our next BOF point overlooking Objective Mississipi. Which contained a short-lived, but interesting .50 cal machine gun that got dealt with before the remains of Charlie 1 arrived at the BOF. I engaged an OP to our east until CSL called off the attack so the DMs could engage it (no fair, they were shooting at me first!) and we reoriented south, possibly having a friendly fire incident as we assaulted Mississipi.

Having taken Mississipi, we were attacking some more OPs when the Kaiman took off and we unloaded on it with everything we had. 0.5fps in case you were wondering. However, this time, we killed that sonofathingamajig! And then we killed it some more!

And that was my last round of AR ammo too, so I went to scavange more ammo or a new gun, only to find that we'd somehow not all died, so I was stuck with a pistol as we charged the ammo depot (what the heck? I thought the idea was to kill the helo!?!!?) and before someone died to give me their gun to play with, an IFV shot me in the face with a big hunk of lead and I got to watch our last remaining element Dobbo charge the hill of death and actually get pretty close before the mission was called as a what-the-hell-do-you-mean-failure-can't-you-see-the-burning-wreck-of-the-target-helo-just-over-there?

Crateresistance
AR for Alpha 1 with Wolfenswan (FTL), Snippers (AAR) and (RAT)

One of the more sneaky-sneaky missions of the night this. The plan was to garrison the buildings between caches 2 and 3 with the CO element and Alpha 2, while Alpha 1 (which had more men) moved up to overlook cache 1 and fight a hit-and-run action against OPFOR as they went for cache 1 and then fall back to guard 2 and 3.

After the mandatory exploding trucks start, we legged it for a point just south-west of cache 1 (the terrain demanding that we be off-position a little) and waited in the bushes for OPFOR to attack while our UAV operator tracked them continuously on thermals and I swore about the lack of an objective waypoint as I had trouble mapping from the map to the terrain. We engaged with them a few times, and withdrew every time, but didn't really manage to hit them as hard as we wanted. Then we pulled back from cache 1 entirely and hit the larger enemy force in the open as it assaulted cache 2.

Unfortunately, while we got them (and with my last round of AR ammo gone, wolfenswan and myself had to do a pistols-and-grenades glory charge to get that job done), they got the C4 in place and blew the cache (and managed to kill me in the process as I looted a corpse for a working rifle). And since cache 1 had been abandoned, that was victory for the other side. Boo! Boo I say! :D

Salt Riders (after-party)
Driver for OPFOR

Oddly, despite being on OPFOR, I was in a blue truck. This caused much confusion. To solve this, I instructed my passengers to shoot everything that moved. This worked well, to a point, but sadly that point was when they ran out of ammo, at which point we tried to hit the other truck and flip it over onto the last BLUFOR member, but he dodged. And then shot us.
Oh well.

And someone ran over Fer. Honestly, you'd think they'd teach better driving techniques in the Party Instructional Sessions. Someone could get hurt.

And that was it for me for the night. Karts. Me. Bad mix. :D

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

fer

Post by fer »

Mike [MDS] wrote:2: Was in Alpha 1 who stormed the first little farm from the west. SuperU got killed, a truck exploded somehow, then I looked around a corner and instantly blew up. Still don’t know what exploded or from whom it came :( I then hung around as a ghost watching my body get repeatedly looted :P
Were you the AR just at the end of a wall between the burning truck and more houses when you died? If so, I'm fairly certain your death was from secondary explosions of the truck (I was nearby and was lightly injured). Also, thanks for the pistol and extra FAK ;)

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

NATO know how to do a beach landing in style.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:NATO know how to do a beach landing in style.
Just out of frame, a slowly drowning NATO AT element strongly disagrees... :P
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse