[Tue] 28th Apr 2015 (Once upon a Section)

How we died (in the future)
blip2
Host

[Tue] 28th Apr 2015 (Once upon a Section)

Post by blip2 »

Missions: 23 comrades turned out this evening to cause some trouble on Altis. Thank you for coming along and sorry for the late start!

We started with a trip to our favourite airfield which we categorically didn't secure before trying to take off, bonus points to the remains of Alpha for successfully fuelling the jet.
After a brief engagement on the beach we had a new experience with Comrade Carsons' mission "To Arms" (how many people are meant to be in this channel?) in which, after taking fire from all directions and not quite expending all of the AT ammo, Bobbero managed to gloriously escape with the truck. Unfortunately he found that it wouldn't fit in the garage he was ordered to hide it in, his improvisation was however admirable.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU produced our video idents, and has also contributed a helpful guide to propaganda artists. We also have a YouTube channel that is managed by our brave volunteers so if you have any content you think it should feature then let us know and we will sort you out.
For more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Some light reading material for a rainy day:

boberro

Re: [Tue] 28th Apr 2015 (Once upon a Section)

Post by boberro »

I just wanted to say, that this is most awesome thing in arma ever:

Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

Buzzard

Role: A2 AAR

We teleported into the AO and had a lovely stroll along the beach towards our objective. We spotted some contacts, but they did not spot us. Advancing on a house near the airfield we came under fire, and then shortly after that, all hell broke loose. We cleared the house, tried to start bounding across the airfield only to have the FTL and RAT cut down. Myself and the AR ran into the warehouse, to find more dead comrades. Turned out that we and alpha medic were the only surviving alpha elements. I shot a man across the airfield but did very little else, before being voluntold by CO to secure a fuel truck and drive it to the plane. Employing all my cunning, I elected to drive it backwards, shielding the fragile glass cabin with the tank full of highly explosive fuel. I neatly reversed into the hanger, with only a couple of minor dings to the plane and truck, and parked it in the refuelling position. I then ran around, shot at some more baddies as the pilot ran in. I heard the jet start up and begin to thrust down the runway, but my hopes were dashed by the explosion and subsequent lack of jet noise. Still, a valiant effort, I thought.

Beachfront Property

Role: A2 FTL

Instructed to take up positions on the northeast side of the compound, I did so, putting my AR in a tower and the rest in a low bunker. A very well aimed GP took down my AR in the initial exchange, but I was luckily able to run up and patch him up whilst GPs landed around us. We then shot at the ei on the hill to our northwest, and I'm pretty sure I landed a GP right on top of some one (incidentally, did you known camo netting stops GPs? Thank the lord for arming distance). Hearing CO can COM go down behind us to apparent close contact, I ran into the HQ house with Mabbot, my AR. There we ran around looking for the enemy and, as I went to loot a pickup for FAKs, blip 2 ran in behind me, only to meet mabbot and his AR at the top of the stairs. A valiant effort nonetheless. After than, the remaining enemy were dispatched by A1.

To Arms

Role: A2 Section (!) lead

Splitting my teams along red and blue, we moved to secure the north east side of town. We shot at enemies moving over the hill towards A1, and otherwise plinked, before being retasked to take over as the truck-snatchers. We ran around to the east of the hill A1 and attachments had secured, and I spent an inordinate amount of time and ammo trying to kill a guy in a tin shack, who was pinning down my entire section (how'd you like a GP through the window, sucker), I ran into the gully and began to clear the buildings, shooting many AI in the butt as I snuck around. Me and Grumpy discovered an IFV uncomfortable close to us, and called for RAT. I went to clear the last building (I, uh, might have opened the door whilst grumpy was checking bodies for AT outside it. Apologies). The buliding clear, suicideking was able to blow up the IFV from the window of the house. We then shot at the approaching enemy as boberro nicked the truck. The mission ended just as I gunned down an ei close contact. Bloody brilliant. An excellently fun time.

Tank You Comrade

Finding myself in charge of opfor, I concocted a cunning plan of 'drive south' . After posing with my binocs and smg, we ran into an enemy tank. Despite three hits and a sweet smg duel with netkev, the got the better of us and blew us up. This did mean we got to witness to comedy of errors that was tank 2s final stand. First, friendly firing the recon helo, the noise of which attracted the NATO tanks. Overcome with guilt, driver bormanov jumped out the the tank and refused to get back in (or there was a glitch) with commander boberro jumping out to see what was up, and also being unable to reenter. Gunner Grumpy managed to smoke one NATO tank (the one that had gotten my tank) before being exploded, after repeated hits, by the second tank. Official party spokesman on the incident: 'Um'

Raidolo

As the pounding beats rang out, I spotted ei in the street outside the target building, and dropped one, though he might have been an ai? Running around with the UAV intel that they were on the roof, I managed to take one out before failing to duel with the one in the doorway, who dropped me. Still, good fun.
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

boberro wrote:I just wanted to say, that this is most awesome thing in arma ever:
I have a similar screenshot because HELL YEAH

Now bring me an animation that allow me to stand with one foot triumphantly atop my enemies fallen body, rifle held high and a stoic look, staring off into the distance.

Also no video this week because shadowplay is not being viable. Hopefully one from next session

Also Also I hadn't done much fighting in cities or buildings since the new update and my lord, the new sounds are completely freaking sweet
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

We need a mission that forces two poor souls to communicate by Morse code. Anyway:

Buzzard
A1? AAR? can't remember, but Raptoer was FTL.

(Marcus's voice from Borderlands:) It was a fine day, full of opportunity!

We checked the houses near the beach as tasked, they were cool. Raptoer said something about it being fairly easy/quiet so far. "Do not taunt the mission!" I whispered in fear. We were pulled back and ran along the shoreline to the warehouse, and I got shot and killed by a random bullet despite being the furthest from the edge of the wall and having 3 people in front of me. Switched to spectator mode to find 3/4 of my fire team was KIA within a minute of my demise.

Never taunt the mission! :lol:

Beachfront Property
FIA A1 AAR under Eagle_Eye

After riding along in the assault boat and being dropped off in a...geographical feature I'm not sure how to describe - I think it was near the lighthouse or a church or something (10 points for situational awareness?) - but yeah we swam to some rocks and tried to infiltrate the area, only to have Raptoer wipe most of us out with a very well placed GP round.

To Arms
Alpha 2 RAT under madrak_the_red

I really liked these sections (which are a full Arma 3 fire team, if I'm not wrong). Such feeling of War. Much excitement. We even got our own channel.

Anyway, red team (Grumpy, gqren and I) were sent to a church to overlook the North and East directions, though we provided some support to the West as well. It was good for overwatch (and would have been brilliant for a sniper team) but anything worth shooting at was too far away.

We were reassigned for convoy acquisition with the rest of the Section (running through the town with bullets pinging all around, gunshots and FIA troops scattered in places was really cool), and almost got massacred on the hill. I think we took too long to get off it, and the Section ended up getting split a bit, I think. Anyway, madrak_the_red called for my AT services, and after the confused realisation that I didn't know where he was, I checked the map and ran to him.

I was really scared that the rocket wouldn't go through the window, but it did, and so did the second. Took me a while to realise that the IFV was dead.

Jakob got hit nearby, and I tried to unsuccessfully locate him (i think he bled out by the time I arrived) and we won the mission moments after.

Had a lot of fun after a long time, was also less confused than usual. Didn't kill anything other than the IFV all night, though.
Last edited by SuicideKing on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Boarnoah

Post by Boarnoah »

Beachfront Property
Fun times, I was with A1 assaulting compound by boat, got distracted by what I thought was a head peeking at us from rocks to our south that I didnt notice the fire team was moving ahead. I ended up confusing my directions (since my ST hud is not working) and when I did find the team all three were dead on the beach a few metres ahead, this followed by more panic and I beleive I walked right up the beach into the majority of the enemy near the house. :siiigh:

Here we see one of our comrades on the boat shooting his mg from the floor, very deserving of a medal.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

That was a head peeking at us from rocks to our south boarnoah, and it was attached to an enemy with a UGL who then murdered the rest of us with it :P

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Bit late with this AAR, blame the new job :D
Also arrived too late for the first mission (new job ends later than old job, so time's a bit tight for the start these days on a school night)

Beachfront
Alpha 1 AR with Eagle_Eye (FTL), SuicideKing (AAR) and Boarnoah (RAT)

This mission didn't go so well with the overland approach last time because of the advantage the defenders now have with bipodding, so CO opted for an amphibious assault as well this time. Alpha 1 was given discretion over whether to land at LZ1 or LZ2 depending on on-site eyeballing, and we went with LZ2. We hopped out, the boat was then meant to provide overwatch and hose down anyone close enough to do us harm.

We got to shore, regrouped, moved ten metres and three of us exploded thanks to rapteur's UGL. The swine. Boarnoah had been busily examining an interesting lichen specimen he'd found on the rocks overlooking the beach where we died, so he survived, temporarily.

Our amphibious assault thus dealt with in the same way the French deal with frogs, the full wrath of the defenders could be turned on the land assault, which proved... effective. The wrath, that is. Everyone died rather quickly and usually quite thoroughly. Then the boat crew, realising that the gig was up and about to be called, did a glory charge up the beach and almost got off the sand before being minced.

I think perhaps this mission requires a rebalance at this point :D

To Arms
Alpha 1 AR with Eagle_Eye (FTL), Bormanov (Grenadier), Mabbot (AR), Reppyboyo (RAT), Boarnoah (Rifleman) and Lynch (Rifleman)

Very interesting mission this one, loved the new squad layout, even if it was a bit confusing initially. I figure we'd get this if we played it a few more times. FTL's workload jumped a bit, and ASL seemed redundant, but we've talked about all that in the mission thread.

Plan here was straightforward, based on the mission briefing and thus doomed to failure and mass casualties from the outset, but we didn't know that. Command sent one section (Alpha 1) to go get the truck from the two or three probably wounded remaining soldiers from the ambushed convoy and return it to the garage while everyone else started off by getting prepped for the counterattack, garrisoning buildings to cover various approaches.

Alpha 1 charged for the convoy, headed straight for the hill overlooking the ambush site... and ran right into being surrounded by lots of very not-dead, not-wounded, not-inactive enemy and took fire almost immediately. We pushed on up the hill, hoping to take and hold it until CO sent Alpha 2 to save us, but the minute I obeyed a direct order to get to the top of the hill, half the armor in the world opened up on me; and as the scattered chunks of my remains landed everywhere from Altis to Stratis, I came to the conclusion that in this game the only thing more dangerous than the enemy is obeying a direct order.

Happily, the rest of my section learned from my explosion (except for my FTL who spent the next few minutes in spectator mode chatting away with me about the mission) and managed to stay alive just long enough to see Alpha 2 get close enough to watch them die. Alpha 2, for their part, then stayed off the top of the hill, killed the armor and about half the enemy surrounding them, impressing the Junior UN Observer in the process, and nicking the truck... which then wouldn't fit in the garage. Displaying a level of parking ability that wouldn't get you past your driving test, boberro dumped the truck unceremoniously in the front garden beside the garage, and the remaining few Folk prepped for an assault that mercifully never came and the mission was declared a success.

Please note: Command owes people pints.

Tank You (after-party)
Tank 1 gunner with Netkev (Duelling Commander) and Mabbot (Driver)

Planning for this mission amounted to "drive that way, shoot anything that moves" even though we had a recon helo to help us out this time. And drive we did, with Netkev whooping and hollering while turned out and posing with his SMG like he'd spent the last three days watching Dukes of Hazard reruns. Thankfully Mabbot did not attempt to jump any bridges in the tank.

After a few minutes of this, we crested a hill and noticed another tank close enough to throw shells at by hand, so we started shooting at them. They hit our tread, we hit their engine, then their gun, then their commander tried to turn out and duel with Netkev so I shot him in the face with a 105mm armour-piercing round and then his tank blew up.

Remember Tovarisch, there is no overkill. There is only Open Fire and Reload.

Then we went hunting the other tank, but they saw us first and their first round killed me, so we couldn't shoot back. While they were gloating and getting out of their tank, Tank 2 snuck up on them (a neat trick in a main battle tank) and killed them all. We won, a fact that cheered us all as we lay burning in the remains of our tank :)

Raidolo (after-party)

Most confused Raidolo I've ever played. We spawned, ran ten steps, started shooting at the enemy (what? how?) and then my fireteam was missing and by the time I linked up with them again, the other fireteam was in the target building and the mission was over. I was about a mile behind the game through the entire round and as effectual as a chocolate-coated cabbage.

Overall, a fun night, To Arms was particularly neat, and the new fireteam structure made for an interesting change. Would play again. Beachfront... not so much. Nice idea but the marksmen DLC changes have taken all the fun out of it. Bit of tweakage necessary :(

guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse