• Citadel
  • Hedgehogs
  • Cloudline
  • Rebel Alliance Part 5
  • Helicopters (after-party)
  • Helicopters (after-party)
  • Shipping Problems (after-party)
  • Shipping Problems (after-party)
Another wonderful Sunday-night turnout, with regulars, new faces and returning old-timers taking our numbers to 51 comrades. Once again, it was close to midnight UK when I reluctantly drew the after-party to a close. I'm pretty sure that when I started running the original Folk sessions the goal was 2 hours of fun, so pushing past 4 hours tells me we're doing something right - thank you to everyone who came along. What has changed is the distribution of death: tonight, it was almost entirely suffered by AIs, as our full-strength platoon smashed its way through several large coops like they were training missions with pop-up targets for enemies. It was unacceptably good. Tomorrow, Party scientists will be given additional funds and told to 'crank up the difficulty'.

:colbert:

That said, we did start the night with an orgy of friendly fire. In newly updated adversarial Crateresistance, the attacking CSAT fireteams appeared to spend more time firing at each other than the enemy. Counter-revolutionaries would have you believe that the Party had sent CSAT into battle without satchel charges to destroy the caches, but of course this is a blatant lie, put about by enemies of the people. Right? Anyway, comrade CO Waffly then led a 4-squad mechanised platoon (!) to total victory in newly updated coop mission, Citadel, in which we captured and cleared a hillside town in north-west Altis whilst taking 1-2 casualties in total. Afterwards, comrade CO Eagle-Eye led a 3-squad infantry platoon to our first ever victory in the atmospheric coop mission Hedgehogs: an brutal epic of bunkers, enemy helo strafing runs and desperate sprints between gulleys. Again, casualties were light. The steamroller continued: comrade CO Aquarius leading us to a rapid, comprehensive (and once again near-faultless) victory in Cloudline (also updated), and then comrade CO darkChozo coordinated a fairly successful ambush in coop mission Rebel Alliance Part 5. Frankly, we had to move to the after-party in order to start seeing people die!

This week, I want to give a quick shout-out to mission makers: new ones, who are starting to produce new, original content for our sessions, as well as those experienced hands who're painstakingly updating older missions to our new F3/OrBat standards. Our sessions simply couldn't exist without this cadre of comrades, so thank you.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Finally, some recommended reading for all comrades, new and old:
:v:

sixpixelkid

Re: [Sun] 01 Nov 2015 (Unacceptably Good)

Post by sixpixelkid »

http://imgur.com/gallery/3hEnjAW/new

picture of nato dying with grace and elegance

SpecialSoup

Post by SpecialSoup »

Crateresistance

Bravo 1 (I Think) Paratrooper

Fun mission. Felt it would have gone a lot differently if BLUFOR were set up earlier. We caught them while they were still getting in position and lit up at least one fireteam at the start. Flanked around to the North-West, got excellent shots in on another two fireteams from behind then proceeded to light up some friendly units. Both caches destroyed with GPs, excellent job.

Citadel

FTL - AI seemed a bit off in this one - we were free to mark targets from the hill and engage without any repercussions. Had an interested friendly fire engagement when an Alpha fireteam rounded a corner with guns pointed at us away from their map marker, I dropped one, got dropped in return, we all got healed and made up around the ai soldier impaled on his own mortar. Being careful not to make the same mistake again attempted to start up a conversation with a unit in a building before realising he was an enemy when he opened up on my face.

Hedgehogs

Alpha Squad Lead. Excellent mission. Both fireteams were very good. We bounded forward, covered the other fireteams, completed the objective.

Two notes -
Players really shouldn't be able to survive a direct rocket barrage from a helicopter with only being knocked into the bleeding out state. The revive system seems quite forgiving on this mission.
There was a friendly fire incident between Alpha and Charlie, but if I say over CC it's not alpha it means we're not firing anymore. We were all holding fire and Charlie was still taking shots. I didn't want to explain the full situation over CC when CO is trying to organise three full squads moving onto an airfield.

Cloudline

Squad Lead again - was a bit hesitant on this one, should probably learn to read contours better before telling fireteams to cover each other running up a hill with no visibility. A headfirst charge onto the hill would have probably been more fun/violent.

Rebel Alliance Part 5

Engineer. Missed my turning. Drove headfirst into 20-30 reinforcements. Ow.

To summarise, was great to be back, haven't played a full session since we were on A2:OA, lots of friendly fire but I think we were so good at killing AI this time we started shooting each other to make it more interesting.

FrozenLiquidity

Post by FrozenLiquidity »

Exciting stuff.

In between naps, reading and a teensy amount of driving during the Citadel operation, I took a brave walk around the vehicle to stretch my legs and I stumbled across a soldier who had clearly been bitten by a snake. After narrowly escaping this near-death experience, I remained in the vehicle with the hatch buttoned for the remainder of the mission, honking the horn wildly to ensure that no other wildlife dared venture close.
snakebite.jpg
snakebite.jpg (245.79 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
On Hedgehogs, we made it to the airbase with minor casualties (though gobs of first aid) and commenced our assault on the menacing vehicles. During this, I caught a rare glimpse of a wild and deadly PCML round on the loose. I can only think of how lucky I was to have it fly harmlessly without leaving any trace opposed to a few bewildered soldiers.
rocket.jpg
rocket.jpg (222.52 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
Finally, in another exciting moment after completing our mission in Cloudline (or maybe it was Rebel Alliance Part 5?), I spotted this pure white patch on the arm of a solider I was riding with. I can only imagine the fear our enemies would feel with this blindingly bright emblem proudly displayed on our digicams. Surely, with the gratuitous destruction of the enemy supply convoy, this fearsome emblem would terrorize the memories of the survivors (had there been any).
fokarps.jpg
fokarps.jpg (101.56 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
Once again, another fun session full of exciting moments as evidenced by my screenshots.

Until next time!

Dr Quack MD

Post by Dr Quack MD »

Having returned to the fold after many moons of absence, this session was quite a change of pace.

Crateresistance
I want to say A2 rifleman, but not sure. CSAT was right on top of us from the start, and I was taken out early on. I think our FTL/SL's just didn't imagine the enemy being that close that early. I remember calling out something I thought might be contacts: "Uh, possible contacts close to our SW." Our response: "Move 200m further SW" so we basically just moved right into the enemy.

Citadel
Back in my favourite position as squad medic (B medic?), this mission was very uneventful for me, but offered up some beautiful Arma 3 vistas that I could enjoy much more than the last time I was rolling with the party, since I've upgraded my PC since then.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =546433808
A single casualty in my squad and a couple of boo-boos was my duty that day, besides laying down suppressing fire on unseen targets (follow the tracers!).

Hedgehog
Great mission with lots of action! I was Alpha medic this time, ordered to following whichever Alpha FT was behind in the bounding overwatch maneuvers we did, ready to heal any scratches, blow on any hurt fingers and wash any scratched shins. Joining the different FT's, I got wind of A2's FTL being a bit more bloodthirsty and not having the patience for any more bounding, I decided to follow them on point, since any casualties would obviously be A2. I wasn't wrong. Oh boy, this mission was medic whack-a-mole with FTL (Soviet?) going down an impressive number of times, and several of his FTL members following suit. This mission offered everything I could ever want as Squad medic: a degree of freedom of movement, enough casualties to stay busy, enemy fire that required laying down smoke and lots of thankful squad mates.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =546433840

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

As BSL during Hedgehogs, I'd just like to commend the men of Bravo squad, in particular both the FTLs, for both the initiative displayed, and for making my job considerably easy. The rolling hills and faux-bocage are an SL nightmare, and we were never really out of contact enough for me to properly regroup the team.

Also, that moment when I call "cease fire" and the entire field falls deathly silent for the first time in almost an hour was awesome :dance:
[/allegedly]

ZeCatnip

Post by ZeCatnip »

The grenade spam in Cloudline was a thing of beauty.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Had a good view of that for a change as well :)
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Pooter
Host

Post by Pooter »

SpecialSoup wrote: Two notes -
Players really shouldn't be able to survive a direct rocket barrage from a helicopter with only being knocked into the bleeding out state. The revive system seems quite forgiving on this mission.
There was a friendly fire incident between Alpha and Charlie, but if I say over CC it's not alpha it means we're not firing anymore. We were all holding fire and Charlie was still taking shots. I didn't want to explain the full situation over CC when CO is trying to organise three full squads moving onto an airfield.
The revive scripts are a little finicky in what you can survive simply because of the limitations of the arma 3 player damage model. You'd think for a simulatorish game it would have a very advanced damage model, but it's actually quite poor. Actually looking at the revive script now I might want to ask wolf about it. It's not wrong, but has some odd parts.

As for friendly fire If you have FTLs who are still alive you just have to call out over normal TS to check fire, then call out to CC that your squad is checking fire. After that the squad who called out the friendly fire will proceed under the assumption that any fire coming their way is enemy. This can somewhat break down if your FTs don't have rangefinders or have their leadership broken.
It's also very helpful to alert other squads if you're shooting over their heads. Last sunday on dangerous quarry we had Alpha shooting over our heads at enemies, and the enemies were shooting at us, but it sure sounded like Alpha was shooting at us.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Comrade! If Alpha had been shooting at you, you would have been dead! :D :hist101:
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse