[Tue] 11 Jan 2017 (6:43:05)

How we died (in the future)
GeEom
Host

[Tue] 11 Jan 2017 (6:43:05)

Post by GeEom »

A delightful 23 "willing volunteers" played tonight.
Spirits were high despite the session being cut so tragically short,

We ran:
22 NightLight
23 Land on the Horizon
20 Beer Run
16 Harcourt Hideout
11 Toystore
9 Off the Rails
8 Cornered
6 Overrun
6 Weekend Warriors
6 Glub Glub Glub
6 Land on the Horizon
5 Missed Connections
5 Inter IV
5 HSLD
5 Salt Flyers
4 Littlebirdies

I would like to extend my thanks to and (concern for) those who refused to let it die for those last ten missions or so!

Alex

Re: [Tue] 11 Jan 2017 (6:43:05)

Post by Alex »

Nightlight:
After laying down judicial amounts of suppressing fire I caught an unfortunately fatal case of Shot In The Face By A Mora syndrome. I felt that Alpha 2 had a very good position.

My second time playing this mission and it was fantastic. Last time it was during the day but i found it played much better at night.

Land on the Horizon:
Alpha 1 landed well despite being under fire and took out our first objective without issue. The same cannot be said for our transport or our support helo. After some logistical magic, we eventually found some transport to our second objective where I butted heads with a bullet.

Really no idea what happened to the transport helos but I think things turned out int the end.

Beer Run:
Because our cause was so just, we were most succsessful in taking the important objective. The flanking move was very effective, though the enemy force on the point was strangely few(!). On return to our dropoff point we found that the enemy had used underhanded an dishonourable tactics that proved, ultimately, to be ineffective against our superior training and morale.

The cache dropping in just as we got into the AO seemed to really focus the action onto the objective.

Harcourt Hideout:
The initial infantry deployment went well and my (Bravo) IFV put some fire down onto the other shoreline. As both vehicles moved onto the bridge we watched as the lead IFV moved onto the bridge and took the expected anti tank round. After the offending position was taken out we took the lead after assuring my driver that he could run the infantry over if they ran in front of us one more time. We made it onto the opposite shore and engaged both enemy infantry and a couple of vehicles while the infantry pushed into and completed the objective. We held the beachhead while everyone else pulled back and heroically exploded.

My first time commanding a vehicle in a long time. The trees on the far end of the bridge were far too close and a better position might have been further into the town.
(fake)

GeEom
Host

Post by GeEom »

Nightlight has a very unique creeping dread to it as infantry mop up increasingly sparse EI under the noses of the Mori, praying for AT.

I really really enjoyed running the bridge on Harcourt! I don't know if I'd call it as effective as the amphibious work, but it was refreshing, and felt quite urban and desperate. Working infantry so close to the Marshalls in such close contract felt very Black Hawk Down :D

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Land on the Horizon (part 1)
Maybe I cursed the other pilots when I said that we can lose 3 of the four helos and still do just fine. What followed was a lot of confusion at first, trying to work out who was still alive, and I rather enjoyed having to do so many extra lifts. Also, shout out to Teifi for helping me prove that technicals can be dealt with by a ghosthawk 8-) . This was my best flying experience to date. The other great moment in here was the survivors of A2(1?) all going down near their objective, and because Ciaran had just fixed the bleedout time this meant if they were going to be rescued it had to be fast. Teifi was willing, he said lets circle a minute and he'll kill what he can. Unfortunately, only Cosmo was still there when I finally got the bird down, and Juliett reinforcements arrived just in time for me to see our fourth helicopter crash of the mission before I returned to bring all the remaining alpha to the final cache position.

Also Alex, if you were in Alpha 1, your transport helo was the one that made it out.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Costno wrote:Land on the Horizon (part 1)
Also Alex, if you were in Alpha 1, your transport helo was the one that made it out.
Did it? That's nice to know.

on further reflection, I think that on Harcourt it might have been beneficial to have both IFVs in the HQ channel to help with coordination. After unloading our infantry we had little to do with them. (aside from trying not to squash them.)
(fake)

Reppyboyo

Post by Reppyboyo »

Fun sesh :)

johny247trace

Post by johny247trace »

Alex wrote:Nightlight:
Beer Run:
Because our cause was so just, we were most succsessful in taking the important objective. The flanking move was very effective, though the enemy force on the point was strangely few(!). On return to our dropoff point we found that the enemy had used underhanded an dishonourable tactics that proved, ultimately, to be ineffective against our superior training and morale.
That was probably most fun mission that day. It was just good PvP with loot of room to strategy.
But i want ask can you tell my details about efectivnes of flankink move, i was playing commander and i am curious about if my orders actualy work or not. I sayd to
Alpha 1 owerwach on hill on west
Alpha 2 red move on objective
Alpha 2 blue move on hill on east to flank
But i was under fire on hill by west of you so i dont see what was hapening.
Also sory alpha 1 that i tell you to go straith to our drop of i was thinking we will be quick enoght i shoud tell you to disembark before that and secure it first :(

johny247trace

Post by johny247trace »

on mision Land on the Horizon what hapend to alpha 1 red team when we attacking second objective a tell you to move to the beach to try flang under blue team suport why did you all die from that ? :lol:

GeEom
Host

Post by GeEom »

Beer run is a great adversarial for capturing those ethereal left side tactic plays. I'd love to distill what motivates this. It was really great getting that 'surely we haven't fought everyone' feeling in the fireteam, trying to count corpses over the radio!

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I'm a bit late with this but oh well
[7:33 PM] GeEom: @here you're currently missing the worlds best session!
Little did GeEom know how his evening/early morning would turn out...

NightLight
Netkev and I formed the elite Sniper Marksman Standard-Riflemen-but-with-Fancy-Scopes Team. We weren't terribly successful, but that's what you get for trying to engage units at 700m with an MRCO (I probably should've taken it off). Eventually we died to an enemy MSAM lead who managed to sneak up on us. He missed so many rounds on us that we just assumed he was friendly, then suddenly, I realised his gun was making a sound much like an AK. The last word I heard as I was shot in the back of the head was Netkev saying "oh".
I feel like the flares are a little overpowered on this. Makes it feel like we may as well be running it on a really cloudy day.

Land on the Horizon
I joined half way through this mission For some reason, I don't remember the first half of this mission. My memory starts with me appearing next to a downed, but reasonably intact (well, the main rotor was MIA) Ghosthawk. I found Alpha 1 nearby and tagged along with them, hoping to gain some bearing on the situation (I never did). We were shortly transported by helo to the next objective, where I was ordered to push forward onto a beach, under cover of the blue element in the fireteam (see johny's post). I was downed soon after, and as I bled out I cursed myself for fixing the F3 SWS bleedout timer earlier on that day.

Beer Run
Our dodgy tactics failed.

Harcourt Hideout
The unusual approach had me quite concerned as Bravo IFV driver. But then pushing along a relatively narrow bridge, towards a town filled with Heavy AT, probably should be concerning, so no surprises there. As Alpha vic pushed forward, I said "let's just wait for them to take the AT round for us". Then they took the AT round. The position was cleared and we pushed forward, with me spamming the horn in an attempt to clear infantry out of the way. I think in future I will start just ignoring infantry - if they run in front of/behind/within a couple of metres of an IFV they probably deserve to be run over (though I feel with the way Folk acts around IFVs, I'd end up killing more friendlies than the enemy).

Toystore (Virtual Arsenal Edition)
As the title suggests, the Virtual Arsenal may have been involved in the success failure of this mission.
See Shado's image of our every-faction-but-NATO Platoon:
Left to right: Ciaran as Unkillable God of War; Costno as Bond, James Bond; GeEom as Syndikat Soldier who stole some gear from various places; Unknown as CSAT Urban Soldier who took a wrong turn on his way from Georgetown, Sydikat Soldier who stole a GL Rig from the AAF and a helmet from CSAT.

We then continued playing various missions for the next couple of hours. It was a great night, and I'm glad I was there until the end.
(apparently survivable)