How we died (in the future)
Aqarius
Host

[Sat] 02 Feb (The Great Lagwar)

Post by Aqarius »

Crosspost from the so called Republic.
fer wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm
First, a huge thank you to everyone from 1Tac, CiA, the Tizzies, and Folk ARPS who came along for the event. That so many of you stayed for the second mission, despite the lag, showed great patience and understanding. Thank you for that.

Secondly, some specific thank-yous. Boberro put in many, many hours: assembling the mod-pack, devising new loadouts for our 1960-something excursion into Skaandiilaandiiaa, working with CiA to co-ordinate with workshop versions, and also working with me to co-write the Progulka mission. Snippers, who took on the task of updating Treasure Hunt for the new modpack and co-ordinated the involvement of 1Tac. Variable and Aquarius, who co-ordinated the contingents from CiA and Folk ARPS resepectively. And thank you to Toiton, from 1Tac, who kindly took on the role of Coop CO - where the challenge is not just to command a mission, but to do so in the knowledge that it's as much about ensuring everyone has a good time as it is about winning.

Sadly, despite our best efforts at mission optimisation (including liberal use of TMF wave spawn technology and Headless Client), our numbers proved too great for the server. So in both missions, rubber-banding and unseen killers abounded. The coop was eventually unplayable, and whilst Treasure Hunt was at least completed, it was a ways short of the hoped-for experience.

That was the bad news; but there was good news too. The technical issues can be surmounted, and we're already chatting with our friends at 1Tac about how to do this. Much better, and frankly more important, is that I think all our contingents gelled well together. For me, this suggests that once we've conquered the lag, a host of exciting opportunities for other joint events present themselves.

If you have stories, images or videos to share, please go ahead and post here (or contact us in Discord so we can paste in for you); and, as ever, feedback is always welcome. We'll also be seeking to make the mission files available to all participating communities, in case you'd like to run them locally as well.

In closing, I hope you didn't find the event a total bust, and hope even more that you'll give us a second bite at the cherry sometime soon. Either way, thank you for coming along.

:v:
[/allegedly]