FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

egg651

Re: FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Post by egg651 »

Yep, I think we need to get some opinions on changine the day - Saturday particularly appeals to me, because people are far more likely to be available, unless they have a 'social life'. In which case they would not be welcome anyway, the gaming lightweights. ;)

Anyway, yes, what's the preference of the feral masses? GO GO REPLY :mrgreen:

fer

Post by fer »

I'm fine with a move to Saturday, although wouldn't that conflict with RPS ArmA? Or are you thinking of a cunning use of start time, whereby IL-2 can roll into ArmA, or vice versa? Also, if this is on a Saturday, I stand a better chance of playing ;)

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

RPS Arma? Wait, what? AFAIK, ARPS does not have any planned events on Saturdays. Only Tactical Tuesdays at the moment.

egg651

Post by egg651 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Saturday thing is an unofficial one, so it wouldn't be devastating if we were to host it on that day. And if the start time remains 7:30, it could quite easily roll in to some ArmA after an hour or so.

fer

Post by fer »

Comrades Egg and Draakon are in charge of this front. The party has absolute confidence in whatever decision they make. But if it turns out to be the wrong one, they will be executed.

Xiathorn

Post by Xiathorn »

Unfortunately, I have an exceptionally busy social life these days, and have yet to make it to an IL-2 session. Tonight is probably the first Saturday I have been at home in a long time, and I might end up going out in a bit. The fact that my ping is also epic fail doesn't help things.

That said, I am extremely interested in playing IL-2 sessions etc. It's a point of frustration for me that I've barely been able to participate in folk games of late, so I'm going to make a special effort to get to these as well as the Sunday sessions (which is definitely easier for me, as Sunday is generally a 'not going out day'). Thursday is probably an easier day for me, but I might be able to manage Saturdays at 7:30, as France's concept of going out starts a lot later than the UK version.

StrangLove

Post by StrangLove »

I've been reading up on my ground attack stuff (and getting in a good deal of practice).

An idea for next session would be going on one of the public servers and flying as a squadron of sorts. Personally, The 'battlefields 1' server is my favorite, although it does have limited ammo which is never a positive for newer players. Anyway, if anyone wants some help with their bomber and ground attack techniques, I'm happy to help. I'm available on the FOLK steam group.

Xiathorn

Post by Xiathorn »

I actually feel that unlimited ammo is a serious hindrance for new players. You'll have experienced guys shooting at you, but not having to worry about their shots. It's a much safer sky to fly in if there aren't ten billion 20mms sharing the area with you. Plus, you won't learn how to aim if you can just hold the trigger :D

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

That raises a question for us not yet attending - What is the realism setting? I can see from videos that icons are on, so you don't go for "full real" i presume :)

For dynamic campaigns there is dynamic campaign generator from Lowengrin (http://www.lowengrin.com). Simple to use, can generate coops or dogfights against AI (so players can JIP to what essentialy is 45 minute long coop mission, but without gunners) and it simulates ground war to an extent (front moves when one side is obliterated).

StrangLove

Post by StrangLove »

Did this happen tonight? I wasn't there out of pure forgetfulness, so apologies if it did in fact happen. Good news is that I've ordered a brand new headset, so I'll be able to do my Armstrong & Miller Fighter pilot voice over TS.

The difficulty is usually pretty forgiving, and we normally have unlimited fuel on and complex engine management off. I'd like to push it to be more 'real', such as switching on the 'pit always on' setting, which stops the Crimson Skies style guncamera view from being used.

again, it would be nice to hop on some public servers as an actual fighter/bomber wing. I've been sticking close to the japanese fighters this week, the Ki-43-II is one of the best early war fighters, good climb rate and pretty fast with some fairly hard hitting guns. Another favourite of mine is the Pe-2, which handles remarkably well, being more a contemporary of the Mosquito than the BF110 (which handles like a pig on a hang-glider). The I-16 is a remarkably good turn fighter, but is otherwise rather slow and stall-y.

For more plane talk, simply hop onto IL2 sessions at some point in the future :mrgreen: