FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

egg651

FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Post by egg651 »

Tally ho, aeronautic pals!
Asking around, I've seen some interest in setting up a Folk IL-2 sessions, and Fer promised sexual favours if I got around to organising one.* So, inevitably, here I am.

Details, ho!:
  • As the post title implies, the sessions will be every Thursday at 7:30pm UK time, be that BST or simply GMT.
    -
  • These sessions will be run, at least for now, with vanilla IL-2 1946. I see no need for a fledgling session like this one to add further barriers for entry by forcing players to download mods such as the absolutely massive Ultrapack.
    -
  • To connect to each other, at least for now, we will be using the psychedelic HyperLobby, which can be downloaded here. A guide on how to set it up can be found here. Note that the game you need to select is "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" and the file you are asked for will be "il2fb.exe", which in your IL-2 1946 install directory.
    -
  • We will be running the latest official patch, which is 4.101m (Shows up as 4.10.1m on the splash screen). Even if you purchased from Steam, it's worth checking your version number (which is shown in the lower left of the splash screen when you launch the game), as it may not have been auto updated. I have a GoG copy so I can't confirm, although I do remember that if you download the patch manually it works with the Steam version. It's also worth noting that you may have to do multiple updates to get to 4.101m, rather than just going straight from an old version like 4.7 (for example) to 4.101m.
    In any case, the link to the download is here. If you have problems, I implore you to Google it. It was a while since I updated so I've forgotten some of the details.
    EDIT: Grizzly has kindly linked a guide for newcomers to update IL-2 as necessary.
    -
  • Last but not least, these sessions are open to anyone with the game. You don't have to be a flying ace; heck, you don't even need a joystick. This is why there are options to make flying easier, disable take-offs and landings, and for players to man gun turrets.
If you're interested, I would be most grateful if you could reply to this thread so I can gauge what the turnout is likely to be.

See you in the air,
-Egg.

*Then again, that may have been a dream.
Last edited by egg651 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.

ShowMeTheMonkey

Re: FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey »

Just to make a point. Better state what patch you want to play with. Many people with IL-2 have crazy unofficial patches as standard, or roll back ones.

fer

Post by fer »

Comrades, as General Secretary of the Party I endorse this effort to create Folk Sky Front 19. For greater visibility amongst the comrades, I am also moving this thread to General Discussion, just in case there are potential flyers out there who regard the A-10 sub-forums as a scarey locale.

Comrade Egg, some suggestions:
  • If this is definitely happening, I can do an email to all Folk forum members tomorrow (Tuesday) night.
  • You can also create a Folk Steam event for the Folk Steam group.
  • I've created an IL-2 channel for you on the Folk TS3 server.
  • You may want to get back into the Folk Skype perma-chat channel, to scare-up pilots on the night
Also, although this particular Thursday is tricky for me, I'm up for some IL-2. I've got the Steam version of 1946 and whilst I don't have a joystick (or any flying skills), I'm totally up for being a gunner. All I ask for is a firey death. A firey, firey death.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I volunteer to fly the Messerschmit 262 to ensure Fer's fiery death :D.

Gasman

Post by Gasman »

I do not own IL-2 but am happy for you to use my server if this is possible. I had a quick look into the free dedicated server and it seems it only allows dogfighting not coop. I'll leave the offer open if anyone who knows about IL-2 wants to chime in. :)

StrangLove

Post by StrangLove »

DOG FIGHT! DOG FIGHT! DOG FIGHT! :laugh:

I agree to play if my callsign is Brandy Unicorn Niner.

egg651

Post by egg651 »

Gasman wrote:I do not own IL-2 but am happy for you to use my server if this is possible. I had a quick look into the free dedicated server and it seems it only allows dogfighting not coop. I'll leave the offer open if anyone who knows about IL-2 wants to chime in. :)
Thanks for the offer, Gasman, that could really come in handy in the future. :D For now though, I think I'll stick with what I know works for co-op missions (namely hyperlobby) so as to reduce the number of things that can/will probably go wrong as much as possible.
fer wrote:Comrade Egg, some suggestions:
  • If this is definitely happening, I can do an email to all Folk forum members tomorrow (Tuesday) night.
  • You can also create a Folk Steam event for the Folk Steam group.
  • I've created an IL-2 channel for you on the Folk TS3 server.
  • You may want to get back into the Folk Skype perma-chat channel, to scare-up pilots on the night
Also, although this particular Thursday is tricky for me, I'm up for some IL-2. I've got the Steam version of 1946 and whilst I don't have a joystick (or any flying skills), I'm totally up for being a gunner. All I ask for is a firey death. A firey, firey death.
Let's go super teen girl comment reply squad:
  • There seems to have been no outward objection to Thursday, so let's go ahead and set it in stone. I'll update the OP.
  • Thanks muchly!
  • Again, thanks - just give me the means to do so and I'll get right on it. (Unless you want to yourself)
  • I'll need another invite for that - I left due to it spamming me with notifications on the rare occasions I actually opened skype.
ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:Just to make a point. Better state what patch you want to play with. Many people with IL-2 have crazy unofficial patches as standard, or roll back ones.
Good point. I can tell you now we will be running the latest official patch, which is 4.101m (Shows up as 4.10.1m on the splash screen). Even if you purchased from Steam, it's worth checking your version number (which is shown in the lower left of the splash screen when you launch the game), as it may not have been auto updated. I have a GoG copy so I can't confirm, although I do remember that if you download the patch manually it works with the Steam version. It's also worth noting that you may have to do multiple updates to get to 4.101m, rather than just going straight from an old version like 4.7 (for example) to 4.101m.
In any case, the link to the download is here. If you have problems, I implore you to Google it. It was a while since I updated so I've forgotten some of the details.

Nullkigan

Post by Nullkigan »

To connect to each other, assuming we can't procure a dedicated server from the RPS box (hint hint, Null)
Point me at files/guide and I will look into it.

egg651

Post by egg651 »

Nullkigan wrote:
To connect to each other, assuming we can't procure a dedicated server from the RPS box (hint hint, Null)
Point me at files/guide and I will look into it.
Wow, I honestly wasn't expecting such offers of dedicated serveryness. I'll look into it, but the evidence points to us not really needing one all that much at the moment. Thanks anyway, love and huggles (And to you, Gasman) :mrgreen:
Thanks for that, I've added it to the first post.