FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

StrangLove

Re: FOLK IL-2 1946 Sessions - Thursdays, 19:30 (UK Time)

Post by StrangLove »

So what version are we gonna be playing? My guess is 4.10.1 (which would be good, as it's what my copy is updated to)

egg651

Post by egg651 »

StrangLove wrote:So what version are we gonna be playing? My guess is 4.10.1 (which would be good, as it's what my copy is updated to)
From the OP. (Admittedly edited in from a post I made further down the thread, but still)
egg651 wrote:We will be running the latest official patch, which is 4.101m (Shows up as 4.10.1m on the splash screen). Even if you purchased from Steam, it's worth checking your version number (which is shown in the lower left of the splash screen when you launch the game), as it may not have been auto updated. I have a GoG copy so I can't confirm, although I do remember that if you download the patch manually it works with the Steam version. It's also worth noting that you may have to do multiple updates to get to 4.101m, rather than just going straight from an old version like 4.7 (for example) to 4.101m.
In any case, the link to the download is here. If you have problems, I implore you to Google it. It was a while since I updated so I've forgotten some of the details.
EDIT: Grizzly has kindly linked a guide for newcomers to update IL-2 as necessary.

ShowMeTheMonkey

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey »

Also of not if it is an arse ache trying to get servers running for the dogfight/coop/whatever then a lot of people use hyperlobby for their multiplayer client

http://hyperfighter.sk/

egg651

Post by egg651 »

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:Also of not if it is an arse ache trying to get servers running for the dogfight/coop/whatever then a lot of people use hyperlobby for their multiplayer client

http://hyperfighter.sk/
Yep, that's what we'll be using. The dedicated server software doesn't support co-op games, which is what we'll be flying.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Ah, darn thunder storm game yesterday and took away my electricity as I was coming for a second carrier landing. Anyway, yeah yesterday was good, but trIying to land on a freaking carrier is so hard. I almost crashed.

Xiathorn

Post by Xiathorn »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I can't believe I missed this. Cursed friends and their idiotic requirement for people to help them move.

Next week, I'll be there!

egg651

Post by egg651 »

Well before I start talking about last night, I'd like to say thanks to those that turned up, and to those that made an effort but were unable due to technical difficulties - It would have been rather awkward if I had been the only one there ;) I'd also like to thank Fer for in his continued support in my efforts to take advantage of bring these sessions to the FOLK community.

Here are some notes from yesterdays session:

Positives
  • Hyperlobby worked reasonably well once we got it working (special thanks to Draakon for helping me test it out beforehand)
  • There was a reasonable amount of interest, and this has only grown post-event
  • Despite some of the issues I'll discuss in a second, I found it pretty fun - Hopefully I wasn't alone
Issues
  • The missions weren't exactly played in a 'folk style'. This was probably mostly my fault for not taking charge and guiding how we played missions, due to my eagerness to simply get going and not scare off players still getting to grips with the game.
  • If just a couple of people died, it felt kinda pointless continuing with the mission - Though of course this can be easily fixed by rounding up more slaves attendees.
  • We didn't really know which missions would be good and which would be bad - Though this is something that will of course get better the more we play.
Another note I have is that I've been looking at setting up a co-operative dynamic campaign for us. However, it would probably be wise for us not to embark on such an epic journey without getting some practice in single missions first. Still, it's something to aspire to.

Overall, I think the session was a success. Hopefully we can work on some of the problems we faced next week, primarily by increasing turnout. If you have anything to add to the lists or any other comments to make please do post them here. :)

StrangLove

Post by StrangLove »

Egg dropped a bomb on my engine ¬¬

egg651

Post by egg651 »

StrangLove wrote:Egg dropped a bomb on my engine ¬¬
I accidentally did it on purpose.

ShowMeTheMonkey

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey »

I like my ninja keyboard skillz. Managed to cap Egg (Or was it Strang?).

Need to wait until I'm back in Leeds to get to my joystick (week or so).

I think hyperlobby worked very well, and is quite easy to use (maybe make a picture guide on how to join a coop game?).

However game play is a difficult problem. There are many, many, MANY missions to download and they all offer different things, and very few offer any respawn options. The only ones that do are adversarial (Which is great fun). I was wondering if we would be better off ditching coop and concentrating on having no holds barred dogfighting with any plane (bar jets). Unfortunately this is at odd with Folk play style.

I have very little experience with campaigns, but I can say that they usually involve flying for 1 hour+ to get to the AO.... Only to be shot down by AAA.

However as with most multiplayer things it'll take a few more sessions to work out what people like and how to conduct these sessions.