Flying the kites of old

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

Black Mamba

Flying the kites of old

Post by Black Mamba »

Just a quick heads up, Rise of Flight (Iron Cross Edition) is currently for sale for the modic price of 10 us dollars; I picked it up myself and it turns out to be a quite entertaining experience.
Even on full sim settings, the planes are somewhat easy to fly, probably because those old engines are not that complicated (basically no need for an A10 638 pages manual to start the engine without the ball of fire effect, you know what I mean).
The Syndicate server runs historic missions that basically let you plan your own sortie, do your stuff, and die. Good times.
It's interesting to note for those that don't know the game that you can pick up the demo for free. The demo is actually the full game (you can even play online with it) but it only comes with two planes: the Lovely (french) SPAD S.XIII and the sluggish Albatros D.Va. Yeah, I even went and did the wiki search for ya.

Anyways, if any of you guys happen to dabble in the sim once in a while, gimme a holla! I'd enjoy a lot flying with y'all good people.

Also, I'm planning to dip my toes again in the world of IL-2 : Cliffs of Dover. I just got it again and I am slowly learning to fly the bf-109, having great fun in the process (and dying a lot. Would probably not have made a great WW2 pilot, at least not one with a very long career). Team Fusion has released a very nice unofficial patch recently (support by the devs is over) and it is a pretty good one, really makes the game shine. Although I shall invest in a new GPU to witness it properly.

zitron

Re: Flying the kites of old

Post by zitron »

I don't have ROF, but is COD good enough to play now?

If people are doing IL2 stuff I'm around any time.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Also, I'm planning to dip my toes again in the world of IL-2 : Cliffs of Dover. I just got it again and I am slowly learning to fly the bf-109, having great fun in the process (and dying a lot. Would probably not have made a great WW2 pilot, at least not one with a very long career). Team Fusion has released a very nice unofficial patch recently (support by the devs is over) and it is a pretty good one, really makes the game shine. Although I shall invest in a new GPU to witness it properly.
Have you seen Heinkill's Redux campaigns? They are a remake of the british campaign (since the original really wasn't good IMO) and a take on Operation Sealion for the axis side.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Yup. I'll give the LW campaign a go as soon as I find enough time.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Not that we had much success with CLOD yet, but I figured I'd post this here anyway for those that might be interested and missed it: Team Fusion has since released a new version of their unofficial patch. It's pretty damn good, even by the standards of the previous one which was awesome.

Cliffs of Dover is really becoming a good flight sim! The lack of content (compared to IL2 46 HSFX7, which I guess is the reference) is countered by nice graphics and very detailed FMs, ballistic models and such. If you happen to own it, it might be worth a try while waiting for IL2 BoS and DCS WWII. Also, the BoB is a nice setting.

Here is a nice video.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

It looks like fun. I picked up Cliffs of Dover in the last Steam sale and may as well get around to giving it a try right now. After I get a feel for it I'd probably be up for a multiplayer game with you guys if anyone else wants to.