DCS Combined Arms - How to play tanks with the A-10 flyboys

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

Tigershark

DCS Combined Arms - How to play tanks with the A-10 flyboys

Post by Tigershark »

Dear Comrades,
This post is to inform you about an exciting new development from the makers of DCS A-10, the hi fidelity flight sim that models the A-10 Warthog, the KA-50 Blackshark, the SU 25T and the P-51 Mustang.

The makers of these products (Eagle Dynamics) have launched a new concept in flight sims which now, even no fly boys can profit from. They have moved to a modular approach for their products meaning each new aircraft of vehicle is a module or plugin to a "world" which they have created.

The core product everything plugs into is called DCS World. It contains the terrain, objects and all the code to do things like weather, explosions, collisions, etc. You then plug in a module such as A-10 or KA-50 Blackshark to able to actually control these objects in the world.

OK...so what?

Well recently, ED released a module called Combined Arms. This lets you take control of tanks, vehicles, AAA, and some SAMs in the game. You can control armies on the map in a kind of RTS way and even teleport or jump into vehicles to control their guns and missiles. In addition, you perform a JTAC role where you lase, identify, smoke and use IR pointers to identify targets for people who are flying in A-10s.

Put simply, it was a fun way for people who are interested in non-infantry land warfare to play alongside people who are playing in A-10. You get all the graphics and content that A-10 enjoys, you simply can't opt in to fly and A-10 (unless you purchase the module).

You can download DCS World for free right now and it comes with the SU25T for free. When you download the Combined Arms module for 29.99 USD you then get to control most vehciles in the game either in first person or using the command map, and you get to play the JTAC role for other MP players.

It is a lot of fun and gives an opportunity for non flight simmers to play alongside flight sim dudes to accomplish missions and such. I think the types of missions that this functionality opens up are endless and very interesting. Imagine having to fly low through a valley to avoid SAMs but the valley is full of human controlled AAA. Imagine a human being able to retask his ground forces RTS style in response to human A-10 attacks. By the way, you can also have head to head games as well. Human commander against human commander with humans flying A-10 assets in aid of the war effort. It is pretty exciting stuff.

You can download DCS World from here: (free and around 5Gb)
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/t ... EN.torrent

And you can get Combined Arms from here: (only 20mb...can download but when you try and play it will ask for a key)
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/t ... EN.torrent

You can purchase the key from this page.
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/i ... 36&lang=en

In order to cater for and benefit from this new potential player base I will be relaunching the A-10 nights with missions that include roles for Combined Arms people to play along.

I would like our first mission to be this Thursday night , 26th July at 8.30pm CET.

Please reply top this thread if you are interested.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

egg651

Re: DCS Combined Arms - How to play tanks with the A-10 flyb

Post by egg651 »

Reporting for explosion, sir!

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I knew I could count on you Egg.

fer

Post by fer »

Comrades, this is a Party-approved initiative. I plan to operate my very own Shilka, and send the aggressor A-10s to their fiery deaths. All I require now is a suitable Shilka emoticon. To Google images!

Wait!

mike

Post by mike »

I'm not too sure about the added value of the Combined Arms module to gameplay, but I'd love to see an AAR thread for this to see if this makes DCS fun again (BMS is spoiling me at the moment).

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

I'm gonna try Combined Arms, see how it works performance wise. If its good, count me in.

zitron

Post by zitron »

Comrades, which version of A-10 do I need?

I have the steam version (1.1.1.1). Do I need DCS world? I also have FC2 and BS1. I am a bit confused.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

You need DCS World for this.

zitron

Post by zitron »

Was there supposed to be a session this evening? There's no one on TS :cry: